Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-07-2018, 04:07 AM

Default Re: HDX Doesn't Like To Run At Low Buffer Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Running a bunch of Kontakt instances, I need a buffer of 2048 samples (at 96k) to be able to record any MIDI data
And does it work well with the HDX with no latency?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:29 PM

What would everyone suggest as the best OS + HD combination to maintain performance and stability at this point in time? I am rocking a 2010 Mac Pro.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:38 PM

From what you've said keep as you have.
My 3 suggestions.
Up the-Video card (AMD or Nvidia* plus correct *driver) Then double the ram to 64GB
Check that Trim is turned on for your SSD's

Alternatively stay as you are and keep rocking.

Put this pioneer energy into a second prep system with the new Mac Mini and several TB3 additives for your detail-needs.
HD, HDX, GPU etc...

Carrie on then switch when ready to test. (If client based take)(Day with a day Off-buffer put in the schedule then keep or go back)
If needed, the Mac Pro Old-Silver found early step back in.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
From what you've said keep as you have.
My 3 suggestions.
Up the-Video card (AMD or Nvidia* plus correct *driver) Then double the ram to 64GB
Check that Trim is turned on for your SSD's

Alternatively stay as you are and keep rocking.

Put this pioneer energy into a second prep system with the new Mac Mini and several TB3 additives for your detail-needs.
HD, HDX, GPU etc...

Carrie on then switch when ready to test. (If client based take)(Day with a day Off-buffer put in the schedule then keep or go back)
If needed, the Mac Pro Old-Silver found early step back in.

A new Mac mini plus all the TB3 trimmings would be really nice, but the budget has been blown on the HDX card.

I am quite happy with my Mac Pro, despite it's age. I upgraded the ram to 64 gig a few weeks ago and it immediately made my system more snappy. I have a bunch of mSata drives coming too to get everything but store for dormant projects off HDDs and onto SSDs. I'm not to fussed about upgrading the 5770 graphics card yet. Maybe once Avid release a stable version for 10.14 with some tasty new features.

Can anyone pinpoint at which PT HD and OSX release the wheels seemed to fall off?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
What would everyone suggest as the best OS + HD combination to maintain performance and stability at this point in time? I am rocking a 2010 Mac Pro.
HD? I would recommend burning any HDD. Look at PCIe/M.2 SSD instead of SATA SSD, NVMe models won’t be bootable but AHCI ones will. Install on a PCIe to M.2 adapter card. You lose performance with only PCIe 2 in the old MP but still worth it.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
HD? I would recommend burning any HDD. Look at PCIe/M.2 SSD instead of SATA SSD, NVMe models won’t be bootable but AHCI ones will. Install on a PCIe to M.2 adapter card. You lose performance with only PCIe 2 in the old MP but still worth it.

Sorry, a bit vague on my part. I mean what version of OSX and Pro Tools HD are people having the most luck with. I am already running mSata SSDs via PCIe for the OS. Hopefully within the next week that will include audio and sample drives too.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry, a bit vague on my part. I mean what version of OSX and Pro Tools HD are people having the most luck with. I am already running mSata SSDs via PCIe for the OS. Hopefully within the next week that will include audio and sample drives too.
Ha pretty funny, I completely misread that. Am already too used to "Ultimate" not HD.

BTW mSATA is not PCIe. I assume you mean M.2 not mSATA? mSATA does SATA only. M.2 can do SATA or PCIe... depending on what the card supports. M.2 has overtaken mSATA use because of that flexibility and extra performance.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ha pretty funny, I completely misread that. Am already too used to "Ultimate" not HD.

BTW mSATA is not PCIe. I assume you mean M.2 not mSATA? mSATA does SATA only. M.2 can do SATA or PCIe... depending on what the card supports. M.2 has overtaken mSATA use because of that flexibility and extra performance.

Nope, I mean mSata. I used an SM951 for quite a while and found it a little underwhelming. It might spec fast, but in a system surrounded by USB2, SATA2 and firewire connectivity it just becomes an expensive, fancy thing working at 50 or 60% efficiency. Now that they have been discontinued, they are even more crazily priced.

I'm extremely happy with mSata. You can run 4 SSDs on a single Addonics PCIe card. They are much cheaper, you get SATA3 speeds between them and the option to RAID 0 them for something even faster (though still limited to PCIe 2.0 speeds). For the price, I would take 2TB of mSata over 512gig of SM951 any day of the week. At least for my old Mac Pro. In more modern computers, M.2 is definitely the way to go.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I'm extremely happy with mSata. You can run 4 SSDs on a single Addonics PCIe card. They are much cheaper, you get SATA3 speeds between them and the option to RAID 0 them for something even faster (though still limited to PCIe 2.0 speeds). For the price, I would take 2TB of mSata over 512gig of SM951 any day of the week. At least for my old Mac Pro. In more modern computers, M.2 is definitely the way to go.
Is this card in your Mac Pro? Looks like great approach. . . any known issues? Which brand/model of mSata SSD cards do you prefer and why?
https://www.addonics.com/products/ad4mspx2-a.php
Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
Is this card in your Mac Pro? Looks like great approach. . . any known issues? Which brand/model of mSata SSD cards do you prefer and why?
https://www.addonics.com/products/ad4mspx2-a.php

Yep, that's the card. I've been using it for over a year now without any issues whatsoever. There are one or two little considerations though - it tops out a PCIe x2 speeds. So you will only get 700-750mb/s transfer speeds in total across the four mSata drives. That isn't exactly slow, but it is no ultra-modern M.2 setup. The second consideration is that the drives installed on the card appear as external drives in OSX. It really makes no difference to me, but I know a few OCD inclined individuals that would be driven mad by it.

Works great! No drivers required. Highly recommended. I have a mixture of Samsung EVO 860 and older EVO 850 cards in mine.