Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 PM

Default No audio out from Eleven Rack into Digi003

I am using an Eleven Rack and a Digi003 in my recording setup. My computer setup is as follows:
• Quad Core iMac
• 16GB of memory
• Apple OSX 10.6.5
• Pro Tools 8.0.4
• Lacie Quadra Firewire external hard disks, connected via Firewire 800

I/O Summary:
• Digi003 is the Pro Tools primary audio interface
• Eleven Rack is connected to Digi003 via S/PDIF cables (I lose the ‘dry signal’ capability with this setup, but that’s OK)
• As the new iMac does not include a Firewire 400 port, I connect the Digi003 to the Lacie external hard drive Firewire 400 port. Not latency or connection issues thus far.

Problem Summary:
Upon launching Pro Tools, on occasion, Pro Tools assumes that the Eleven Rack is the primary audio interface. This can be remedied with the following procedure:
• Quit Pro Tools
• Turn off the Eleven Rack,
• Launch Pro Tools,
• Power up the Eleven Rack
• Quit Pro Tools
• Launch Pro Tools
• i.e. a pain in the $@%

And now, the most recent problem:
• Audio is not routing from the Eleven Rack into the Digi003 to a record enabled track
• Audio is present at the headphone output of the Eleven Rack

Exasperated
Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Re: No audio out from Eleven Rack into Digi003

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmator View Post

Problem Summary:
Upon launching Pro Tools, on occasion, Pro Tools assumes that the Eleven Rack is the primary audio interface. This can be remedied with the following procedure:
• Quit Pro Tools
• Turn off the Eleven Rack,
• Launch Pro Tools,
• Power up the Eleven Rack
• Quit Pro Tools
• Launch Pro Tools
• i.e. a pain in the $@%
To fix this issue just hold down the "n" key when you launch PT's. Wait for the dialog box to pop up (could take a while depending on the amount of plugins you have) then select the 003.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmator View Post
And now, the most recent problem:
• Audio is not routing from the Eleven Rack into the Digi003 to a record enabled track
• Audio is present at the headphone output of the Eleven Rack

Exasperated
You may need to check your I/O set up.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Re: No audio out from Eleven Rack into Digi003

If the audio from your mix is present in the Eleven Rack headphone jack, that means that the Eleven Rack is currently selected as the interface.

By the way, you don't have to quit protools to switch back and forth between the 11R and 003. Just go into hardware setup and choose. It's designed to work this way.

Also, you can have a dry track if you make sure the 11R output is set to mono (which comes out of the left output). I forget exactly how it's done, but you can set it up through the 11R control window. 95% of the time you'll want to record guitar tracks in mono anyway. The only reason to have stereo is for certain situations with a stereo delay or reverb, and you're better off adding that later anyway, during the mix. You can have the signal in mono, with the delay, and the other channel recording the dry track. Later on, if you want, you can send the dry track back through the unit to record with the stereo delay onto a new stereo audio track.

Or, you can record the effected guitar amp sound in mono, and add an aux send with one of the Protools built in delays, just for monitoring. This way, you have a dry track, and a mono effected track (with amp/speaker sound but minus delay/reverb). During mixdown, you can then send the amp/speaker effected sound through any delay or reverb you want, whether it's a plugin or back through the 11R.