Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-25-2003, 08:26 AM

Default Any program known that converts recording to wav

I love ProTools. But there is one procedure that seems rediculously long: I do a lot of long recordings on minidisc (live recordings plus radio broadcasts). In order to make these recordings more accessable (ie, play in my cd player) I download the MD recording frm my MD deck to PTools (real time) on my computer. But this is not a .wav file and thus I can't burn to CD using Nero. So I have to "bounce" the file to create the wave file (again in real time!). If this is, for example, a 2 hour radio broadcast, now I've got 4 hours into burning/converting to CD. ... Q: do you know of any software that enables me to do this in one step? ... a friend has a Teac high speed dubbing deck. This works good using the optical cable to transfer from my MD deck to the recorder portion of the dubbing deck (real time). But this requires a "music CD-R" disc... the more expensive type. Plus, I can't make copies of this "music CD-R" with Nero. neither of these problems exist with Pro Tools! Maybe the industry intends to create this dilemma so that someone in my position doesn't commercially duplicate concert recordings... I can appreciate that.. but I have no such intention. Thanks for any thoughts... Tom
Old 10-25-2003, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Any program known that converts recording to wav

Sound Forge or Wavelab should do exactly what you need. You can record the material into the program, and the resulting file should be able to be burned directly to CD.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:03 AM

in protools once you've recorded it then select it and choose export from the audio tools. But the problem may be that some versions of Nero doesn't recognize the headers that protools makes so a DUC er created a progie that will strip the extra header info, you can search for that. But you might just flip for the Sound Forge since then you'll be able to record then burn from the same application, saving you lots of time and file space.

Since you're going from source Mini disc, you might see if one of the new Sony NET Minidisc recorders would rip the data even faster then xfer it via USB to a .wav on the PC. The included programs might even let you burn from there then that would save even more time!
Old 10-25-2003, 09:28 AM

Hello,

I may not understand exactly what you want to do but it sounds like you just need to convert your minidisc recordings to a wav file so you can burn it to cd??? If so, then there is a simple but extremely powerful little program that will do it by it self. It was designed so you could burn cds from vinyl records. You simply input your audio into your pc's onboard or standard soundcard. Sound Forge is a great program for this as stated but the program I speak of is small and dirt cheap. I think you can download a fully functional trial but it only costs about $30 USD. I hope this helps. You can check it out here:
http://www.polderbits.com/

Jim

Jim (I used to be alot younger)
Old 10-25-2003, 11:45 AM

You don't have to export as stereo interleaved 44.1 16 bit in real time in Pro Tools.. simply select the regions you want to export as files in the region list and type Ctrl+Shift+K.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••