Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 AM

Default CD Burning Software - A Slight Reprise

I realize that this has been tossed around previously however, there is one item that may deserve some discussion.

I recently moved over to the Mac side and life is good, except that I really miss the simplicity of editing and assembling projects in CD Architect ... a PC only application.

What is the possibility of running CD Architect, or a similar PC-only editor/CD burner application, using either Bootcamp or Parallels?

Anyone tried it with success?

Thanks

PT10 HD Native (10.2.0), 96 I/Os, C24, Mac Pro (10.6.8 / 16GB)
Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Default Re: CD Burning Software - A Slight Reprise

Toast 8-10 ($70), Logic/waveburner($500.00), PreMaster CD ($500ish), Peak ($600+)
*Wave Editor 1.4 ($80.00), XO Wave ($90)............Others?
All Mac CD-a
Old 07-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBob View Post
What is the possibility of running CD Architect, or a similar PC-only editor/CD burner application, using either Bootcamp or Parallels?
No experience, but I'm guessing it will work fine. I have a G5 sitting next to a PC because I don't have the option of running bootcamp.

If you have both bootcamp and CD Architect, install it and find out.

Mark
Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 PM

I have CDA running on parallels. It does not recognize when you put a blank CDR in the drive so you can't burn the project. Everything else works perfect.

It does recognize the drive itself, just not the blank CDR. It just says "No Disk".

If anybody has any thoughts or suggestions I would appreciate it.

I have the latest versions of CDA (5.2d) and Parallels installed on a 2.4Ghz macbook pro.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Interesting that CDA does not recognize the drive. I'll check with a local Mac guru and see what he knows about that.

If I have to stay in the Mac environment, it looks like Bias Peak LE might be a close alternative to CD Architect. It's workflow appears similar.

In the meantime, I'll keep CDA handy on a nearby laptop.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 AM

You may want to try BootCamp rather than Parallels. BC has much better driver integration and sidesteps the driver release problems encountered with Parallels. I'm not saying it'll work, but there's more chance of the system communicating correctly with the drive.

If you still have the PC, it's pretty easy to put it on the same network as your Mac and still burn the CD's with CD Architect. The PC can be very useful for other auxiliary tasks as well.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 PM

It works in boot camp!

Thanks,
Deedle
Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDet View Post
Toast 8-10 ($70),
Heavens no!!!!

I have Toast 9 and I have yet to find a more worthless, buggy waste of money application on the planet. I own tons and tons of buggy software, but this one takes the cake. I have tried about 8 different tasks on it and I have only been able to get 2 of the 8 to work (one of the tasks being to burn a CD which iTunes does for free). Toast 10 is suppose to be worse. Absolutely awful. Way too stripped down for mastering too. Especially in comparison to CD-A.

I am with the PO on this. I absolutely love CD Architect and I have shopped around and have yet to find an alternative on the Mac that isn't over $200.

I have not tried Bias Peak LE. I am too worried it will be too stripped down. But if anybody has any positive experience using only the LE version, I would be interested to hear.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Heavens no!!!!

I have Toast 9 and I have yet to find a more worthless, buggy waste of money application on the planet.
Toast 9 here, no issues. For one year, delivering 2 to 3 masters a month. no complaints by me or the plants or anybody. 2 coasters out of maybe 50, probably due to the raw media.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM

OK, Dizzi ... here we go ... I've taken some of my stimulus money and ordered Bias Peak LE.

I'll let you know how it compares to CDA.

I've tried both Wave Editor and Toast 10 and, while they certainly have their place, they just don't come close to the ease and functionality of CD Architect.

I also plan to explore Boot Camp ... the report from Deedle is encouraging.

Thanks to all.