Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 03:36 PM

Default DV Tool kit/LE/Sound Miner/G5 questions

I've stepped away from Pro Tools a little bit so I'm a bit behind....
I'm about to purchase the mBox for home editing. I'm going to be editing mostly sound effects and foley. Its just like 12 tracks at time with simple automation and effects.I'm on a mac and (soon a G5) so heres a few dumb questions...
1. does the DV toolkit come shipped with v6.1? or is it a seperate buy? i saw on the 6.1 digi 002 cd theres an installer for it.
2. will sound miner work with le? if not, does v6.1 have the digibase like on TDM
3. i know that le 6.1 on osx no longer uses RTAS plug ins... is that true? will my bomb factory plug ins from v5 on a mac wil on this version? if not what are some of the plug ins available for PT v6.1
4. does 6.1le ship with a ilok dongle? will my old rtas plug ins work with the old authorization?
5. i know pt is uing asio now, will my absynth and kontact work with le?
6. what video cards work with LE? igniter? does the G5 have any suported yet? i'd like to have dv output is that possible without purchasing the Mojo?
7. anyone have any luck with omf files exported from Final Cut Pro?
again.. these are simple dumb questions but i've been out the PT format for a while. I just need to edit to picture for work without having to go to work. The idea is to bring home work via firewire and bring it back. anyone else have experience with this?
the dv toolkit from what i can tell really allows me and folks like me to double time work where either working from home or on the road without spending a bundle or having whole amounts of gear.
drop your comments or expereince or ideas...
cheers
Old 07-21-2003, 03:46 PM

Default Re: DV Tool kit/LE/Sound Miner/G5 questions

i don't know where you are getting your information from but most of it is wrong. RTAS is still used in OSX, yes you need to update your non digi plugs to OSX, there is no ilok dongle sent with 6.1, G5s are not approved but will be hopefully soon. That is all the info I will give you because you could have answered most of these questions on your own had you researched at all. Here is the compatibility link. READ IT.

http://www.protools.com/compato/
Old 07-21-2003, 03:49 PM

Default Re: DV Tool kit/LE/Sound Miner/G5 questions

1. DV Toolkit has to be purchased separately.. the installer is included with PT 6.1 but you need an iLok and an asset to use it beyond the 15 day demo period

2. Don't know about SoundMiner.. There are DigiBase functions in LE, just not as extensive as TDM (read the manual).

3. Not true.. RTAS is still supported in PT 6.1 -- Have no idea where you heard this from [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

4. You have to buy an iLok separately. All Digi Rack plug-ins will work, other plug-ins like Bomb Factory will require iLok assets... some companies like Waves don't use the iLok (yet).

5. OS X uses Core Audio.. check the compato docs for the Digi system you're ineterested in.

6. The G5 hasn't shipped yet.. but there's a post in the TDM forum about PT running on a G5 machine at MacWorld.. check that out.

7. You need either the DV Toolkit or DigiTranslator to import OMF files.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••