Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2020, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools has become a nightmare (Windows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but are you running the UAD's on your PC? I'm looking to get 1 or 2 cards for my Windows rig and what to know how they run.

tg
they are running in bootcamp on the imac pro in my sig, using components that are not supported from UA at all (bootcamp for one, the apple thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter for another). I put it down to the proper implementation of thunderbolt 3 on the hardware side from apple which makes it work so well. I am getting better performance at 32 buffer in windows on the very same imac pro than OSX, using the very same chain of UA devices on the very same thunderbolt ports and thunderbolt adapters.. I even recommend macs to people who want to run windows and UA thunderbolt devices now. The DPC latency is astounding and better than any result I have seen on native windows builds.. (it's just one green segment down the whole latencymon page, its incredible). It must just be the really high quality motherboard components apple are using on their pro line, it has to be. PS the reason windows is performing better is because there is no speed-stepping when i activate windows high performance power plan, i.e, all 8 cores stay at the maximum intel rated turbo speed at all times without any fluctuation.When the Catalina pro mode comes out, this should neutralise that issue on OSX once and for all, IF they offer it to imac pro owners as well.
You can PM me for any other info rather than going more OT here. PT runs like a dream in bootcamp on the imac pro in any case.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticmike View Post
Well I'm running PT Ultimate natively without cards through Lynx Aurora USB ports or UAD Apollo via Thunderbolt.

The system is a very compatible 9900k system with 64 Gigabytes of ram and NVME drives with 3000mb read and write speeds.

W10 is also the latest version but PT is very finicky lately.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk
That's not even close to everything i asked.. so.. I asked if it passes latencymon DPC latency tests which is THE most crucial element on any windows machine for good DAW performance. It could also be a faulty plugin that is causing spiking which I also tried to say.. how can it work here perfectly? That means there is something on your end that is bothering it, and I was trying to help you narrow that down.

"a 9900K very compatible system" means nothing. Apollos are known to have issues with MANY windows systems and it entirely depends on the motherboard.. the gigabyte designare with built in thunderbolt is known to be a good one, for example.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
#2: Learning new key commands hasn't been fun. I've been using Pro tools on macs since the late 90's, and I'm definitely fumbling around some to find the right key combinations occasionally.
I ran into the exact same issue. I found this little registry editor called SharpKeys that allows keys in Windows to act like other keys. I just remapped the Ctrl, Windows and Alt keys to behave like a Mac keyboard and now I can go back and forth between computers a lot more easily.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-28-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I ran into the exact same issue. I found this little registry editor called SharpKeys that allows keys in Windows to act like other keys. I just remapped the Ctrl, Windows and Alt keys to behave like a Mac keyboard and now I can go back and forth between computers a lot more easily.
Thanks for the heads up, as that has been a real issue for me when using bootcamp with the mac keyboard.. the only real complaint I have had.

I am also trying to find an EASY way to create my own PT custom shortcuts in bootcamp like I do in OSX to no avail so I keep on trying to do the shortcuts when i am working in Windows and they do nothing LOL. I must do it 100 times a day or more, as all the custom powerclaw shortcuts I created are ingrained in my memory.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
#2: Learning new key commands hasn't been fun. I've been using Pro tools on macs since the late 90's, and I'm definitely fumbling around some to find the right key combinations occasionally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Thanks for the heads up, as that has been a real issue for me when using bootcamp with the mac keyboard.. the only real complaint I have had.

I am also trying to find an EASY way to create my own PT custom shortcuts in bootcamp like I do in OSX to no avail so I keep on trying to do the shortcuts when i am working in Windows and they do nothing LOL. I must do it 100 times a day or more, as all the custom powerclaw shortcuts I created are ingrained in my memory.
This is all quite the brain-twister, huh? Between running PT on my PC and on my Macbook Pro (with the smaller keyboard), and Logic on my Mac Pro, where I've been gradually changing all the key commands to match PT on my PC, I think I'm developing a stutter.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 01-28-2020, 01:18 PM

Crashes and errors have been extremely rare here on Windows. I run many long days without a glitch.

(HDX without Hyperthreading. Fully optimized.)

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-28-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Some interfaces Pro Tools will run, though very badly when the interface is still set in Windows as the the default playback devices. I have seen this fix quite a problem systems.
This was my one and only issue when I moved from Mac to PC. Core Audio was/is a thing of beauty when it comes to system vs interface sounds/priority. Once I switched the system sounds to run through the MB, it was smooth sailing.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 01-28-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
This was my one and only issue when I moved from Mac to PC. Core Audio was/is a thing of beauty when it comes to system vs interface sounds/priority. Once I switched the system sounds to run through the MB, it was smooth sailing.

tg
yep, i set the windows audio interface to the imac pro's. They are great for watching movies or gaming anyway, no issue at all. Apollos are only used via asio. I do know the UA WDM driver is broken, so *everyone* with a windows system should be using motherboard audio for system sounds/youtube etc ANYWAY. Apparently UA have even confirmed it now that the WDM driver is a joke in it's current state.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Crashes and errors have been extremely rare here on Windows. I run many long days without a glitch.

(HDX without Hyperthreading. Fully optimized.)
I really need to ask... why no hyperthreading on just a 6 core? Why disable it?
Old 01-28-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post

BTW.. I have had a terrible time in bootcamp win10 on my mac book pro with much worse audio app/driver performance than in macOS. But my MBP is a few years old and not a newer one. So it depends..