Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2017, 12:25 AM

Default Pro Tools 12 with the new MacBooks

I wonder how well Pro Tools HD 12 (without hardware) would work with the new top-off-the-line MacBook (1.4GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz)? I don’t need very hight track counts and don’t use virtual instruments but I do need the level of portability, which MacBook Pro doesn’t offer. Anybody using Pro Tools with the new MacBooks successfully?
Old 09-12-2017, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 with the new MacBooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
I wonder how well Pro Tools HD 12 (without hardware) would work with the new top-off-the-line MacBook (1.4GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz)? I don’t need very hight track counts and don’t use virtual instruments but I do need the level of portability, which MacBook Pro doesn’t offer. Anybody using Pro Tools with the new MacBooks successfully?
I'm using PT 12 (non-HD) on a 2012 11" Macbook Air — dual core i7 2.0gHz, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd — and it works well for my purposes. I've recorded & mixed sessions up to 24 tracks, & almost never use VIs. (Though i also have Ableton Suite 9 and do use VIs there, with no problems, freezing when necessary.) The plugins I use range from very to moderately lightweight — McDSP for eq/comp/limiting/tape saturation, Lexicon PCM & Valhalla for algorithmic reverb (& occasionally McDSP Revolver for convo reverb), & Soundtoys & stock PT/Air for effects.

I'd suspect the new Macbook would be similar or slightly better in performance. Your base clock speed is lower, but Turbo is higher. Both have hyperthreading for four threads. There have been significant architectural improvements in the CPU, & the better SSD connection (PCI vs SATA3) will make a difference as well.

Track freeze / commit are your friend.

I think your main problem might be that — unlike me — you don't have a fan in the machine, so as you push the processor you might get your speed throttled. My fan definitely ramps up when I'm mixing (but I live in Athens, it's not exactly cool here to start with!) I believe there are stands with heat sinks, which you might want to look into if this turns out to be a problem. And of course, connecting any external hardware requires hubs / docks.

~peter in athens
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 09-12-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
What makes the MacBook Pro not portable for your uses? Is this going to be your only machine or a 'sometimes' machine? I sure wouldn't use it as an only machine. Using PT on such a small screen isn't going to be a pleasant experience.

QAPLA!
Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Using PT on such a small screen isn't going to be a pleasant experience.
meh it's not really that bad. you get used to two-finger scrolling, and fullscreen mode (which disappeared in 12.6.1, which is why i'm still on 12.5.2) helps a bit. plus you can use external monitors when available.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
meh it's not really that bad. you get used to two-finger scrolling, and fullscreen mode (which disappeared in 12.6.1, which is why i'm still on 12.5.2) helps a bit. plus you can use external monitors when available.
External monitors takes away from the portability the op is asking for. But that doesn't matter if this is his only machine. And that's something we don't know.

QAPLA!
Old 09-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
The idea that the MacBook Pro does not offer a high degree of portability is nonsensical. Current MacBook Pro are extremely portable. If you are bringing as little as a pair of headphones, mic or two and cables etc. then all that gear is likely to be much larger than a MacBook Pro.

The single IO port silliness and lack of Thunderbolt on the MacBook would stop me every buying one. Which means no thunderbolt audio interfaces, no firewire audio interfaces, no thunderbolt docks, no future thunderbolt high performance SSD expansion, etc.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
External monitors takes away from the portability the op is asking for. But that doesn't matter if this is his only machine. And that's something we don't know.
True. But as I said, I've found it not terrible using the small screen over the last four years, where the 11" MBA (with no external monitor) has been my only system. Again, I'm not working on sessions over 24 tracks, so that helps, of course. But this is apparently similar to the OP's needs. And I almost never use >5 inserts/sends, so i have F-J hidden, as well as track comments.

Anyway, the 13" MBP isn't *that* significant an improvement over the Macbook in screen real estate (2304x1440 Macbook vs 2560x1600 Pro 13" ~ Δ+23%), and we assume from his emphasis on portability that a 15" is out of the question. For me the main reason to avoid the Macbook would be for the lack of connectivity. (The MBA is much better in this regard, having 2xUSB + thunderbolt.)

~p
Old 09-13-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
True. But as I said, I've found it not terrible using the small screen over the last four years, where the 11" MBA has been my only system. As I said, I'm not working on sessions over 24 tracks, so that helps, of course. And I almost never use >5 inserts/sends, so i have F-J hidden, as well as track comments.

Anyway, the 13" MBP isn't *that* significant an improvement over the Macbook in screen real estate (2304x1440 Macbook vs 2560x1600 Pro 13" ~ Δ+23%), and we assume from his emphasis on portability that a 15" is out of the question. For me the main reason to avoid the Macbook would be for the lack of connectivity. (The MBA is much better in this regard, having 2xUSB + thunderbolt.)

~p
Screen resolution and screen size don't necessarily go together; you can have a high resolution on a large screen and have the same resolution on a smaller one. The actual delta between the two resolutions you cite are roughly half for a figure of roughly 11%. But as mentioned it's the connectivity that's the real issue. Got to think of how to get stuff in and out of the machine - wireless can't do it all.

QAPLA!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:52 AM

MacBook would no means be my primary Pro Tools Mac. I have nMac Pro and iMac as my main Pro Tools computers. But I need to be able to use Pro Tools also on laptop sometimes. I have now MacBook Pro (15”, late 2012), and the weight do is an issue, I have carry it a lot. I use the laptop mostly for everything else, but sometimes also for Pro Tools. I am aware the limitations in connections of MacBook, but I do believe now that i could be the best solution for my purposes. I would never consider it to be my main / only Pro Tools computer. Thank you all for your helpful comments!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
MacBook would no means be my primary Pro Tools Mac. I have nMac Pro and iMac as my main Pro Tools computers. But I need to be able to use Pro Tools also on laptop sometimes. I have now MacBook Pro (15”, late 2012), and the weight do is an issue, I have carry it a lot. I use the laptop mostly for everything else, but sometimes also for Pro Tools. I am aware the limitations in connections of MacBook, but I do believe now that i could be the best solution for my purposes. I would never consider it to be my main / only Pro Tools computer. Thank you all for your helpful comments!
4 pounds for the 15" MBP ain't that much when you come down to it. Compared to the 2 pounds for the MacBook yeah it's heavier but not something that can't be done. 4 pounds is about the weight of a half gallon of milk. Not that heavy. Also think of the adapters you're going to have to carry with the MacBook that you won't need with the MBP you already have. Get a backpack.

QAPLA!