How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2022, 06:41 PM

Default Free Pro Tools

Hey all,

Haven't been on here in a long time. I abadonned Pro Tools a few years ago out of necessity. I've updated my system including a new DAW, but I need to access old Pro Tools files. All my old sessions are PT 8 and earlier. Is there a free version of Pro Tools I can use to extract these old audio files?

Thanks

Stickleback

Mac 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 2015
OSX 12.4 Monterrey
Old 07-01-2022, 06:48 PM

Default Free Pro Tools

No, but you can rent Pro Tools for a month and do all the conversions required.

Depending on how big the sessions are in terms of track count, you could get away with the lowest (cheapest) tier - Pro Tools Artist. If not, you’ll need to rent the middle tier - Pro Tools Studio.

But, I hope you don’t need any plugins to recall as that won’t be happening anytime soon unless you only used the included factory plugins. If all you require is to export the audio as stems or multitracks, you should be fine.

This link shows the differences between PT versions.

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 07-01-2022 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Free Pro Tools

Thanks for the fast response. I really just need to consolidate and extract audio tracks. Mostly isolated drums tracks on a few sessions for now. So I can probably get away with using Artist for now.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Free Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickleback View Post
Hey all,

Haven't been on here in a long time. I abadonned Pro Tools a few years ago out of necessity. I've updated my system including a new DAW, but I need to access old Pro Tools files. All my old sessions are PT 8 and earlier. Is there a free version of Pro Tools I can use to extract these old audio files?
No free lunch. The Pro Tools free products were universally awful and failures for users and Avid.

Not sure Avid is still doing one month trials, you can search, think they stopped. But you can just purchase a one month subscription to Pro Tools Studio or Pro Tools Artist. You might be able to use Pro Tools Artist but that has some hard limits on tracks counts etc. .. all use the same install binaries, just different licenses.

Pay attention to minimum systems requirements, which you can find online.

Quote:
Mac 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 2015
OSX 12.4 Monterrey
Uh Monterey California, not Monterrey Mexico.