Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Default intermittent issue: plug-ins not processing audio

I'm on 10.8.2, with pro tools HD software 10.3.2(running natively with metric halo ULN-8 interface)

2009 mac pro 8 core (model 4.1)

So sometimes when I move or copy a plugin - and much more rarely when i initiate a new instance of a plugin (any plugin - including the digi/avid ones) it will not process the audio. Any meters the plug has will react to the signal, but the signal is not processed by the plug. I have to either drag the plug between slots a few times, or make the track inactive and active again for it to function as it should.

I made a very boring vid here to show what i'm saying. please excuse my narration - made at the end of a very long day...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5392507/plugproblem.mov

Has anyone else experienced this issue? It seems to have started with the last update, which did fix a bunch of other stuff so I'm reluctant to roll back.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:24 PM

Default Re: intermittent issue: plug-ins not processing audio

I am having this same problem and it is driving me insane. And it is more than occasional. 60-70% of the time I insert a plugin on a track it does not process any audio. The only workaround is to remove it, add it again, sometimes 5-10 times, before it works, or sometimes disabling then enabling the track fixes it. Sometimes inserting plugins during playback seems to have a higher likelihood of success. So far I have noticed this with UA plugins, Soundtoys and Waves RTAS plugins. I haven't tried to reproduce it with any others yet.

PLEASE PLEASE, has anyone found a solution? I have 2 records to mix this week. This is making me completely crazy.

I was on PT 10.3.2 but just updated to 10.3.3 and the problem still exists. Computer is MacBookPro8,2 running OS 10.7.5, 8GB of RAM, SSD, and an UA Apollo Thunderbolt interface
Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM

Bump
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM

what version numbers of the plugs?
they could be out of date relative to your version of Pro Tools

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM

UA 6.5.2 (newest), Soundtoys 4.1.8 (newest I believe), Waves version is older, I don't think it's the plugs-it's happening with all of them. Happened with one of the Abbey Road plugs today.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
UA 6.5.2 (newest), Soundtoys 4.1.8 (newest I believe), Waves version is older, I don't think it's the plugs-it's happening with all of them. Happened with one of the Abbey Road plugs today.
Hi,

All plugins in the plugins folder must be up to date. Any old demos or out of date plugins can cause problems like this as ALL plugins are loaded in to the pro tools cache when you boot pro tools.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

All plugins in the plugins folder must be up to date. Any old demos or out of date plugins can cause problems like this as ALL plugins are loaded in to the pro tools cache when you boot pro tools.

Chris
Seriously? So every time some company decides to charge to update to the newest versions of the plugs I already bought (Waves being the worst offender), you're suggesting that this might cause all my other plugins to break? I have a hard time believing that could be technically true, let alone accept the reality of trying to actually maintain a functioning system that way, considering that upgrading plugins to the newest versions can cause problems of their own.

Has anybody else encountered this problem?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 AM

no, if a plug-in is not computable with the version of ProTools/OS it may cause problems even if it is not in the session
it only has to be in the plug-ins folder fo cause trouble

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-16-2013, 04:25 PM

still having issues with this - never found a solution. all my plugs are up to date afaik...

however, the idea that a plugin should be able to load, the meters react but it not to process audio seems like a bug to me what ever way you look at and i really think it needs to be fixed
Old 05-16-2013, 04:56 PM

have you tried updating to 10.3.5 from 10.3.2?

Thank you,

Craig