Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2000, 05:28 PM

Default The flu and auto-tune?

I hear auto-tune can cure a bad vocal and the flu. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
Old 12-14-2000, 06:57 AM

Default Re: The flu and auto-tune?

It can correct pitch for a singer who doesn't always stay on pitch. But if the vocal is wavering all over the map, Auto-tune might make it sound artificial. It can't make a bad vocal good.

For flu, drop the software CD in boiling water and swallow it in one gulp.

------------------
- Michael
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 12-14-2000, 07:24 AM

I find it to be a lot better at making a good vocal great than at making a bad vocal good, if ya get my drift.

Get the vocal as accurate pitchwise as possible, then use Auto-tune to tweak.

The other thing it kills at is BGV's. You can let Auto-tune have its way with backgrounds a little more and not have it sound "fake."

I like Grape Dimetap for the flu...it doesn't do squat, but it tastes great.
Old 12-14-2000, 02:55 PM

AutoTune is pretty amazing and they have free full feature downloads from their web site for most plug in formats. I was able to concurrently run two insidents of of the RTAS plugin on my PC 001.
I've taken a couple of hound dog scratch vocal tracks and after processing they were HUGELY improved. After being "corrected" I ran one through a Vocalist Harmonizer and the result was impressive.

Try it, you'll like it ;-)

Cheers,
Toby Gray
Old 12-15-2000, 05:32 AM

THere are two modes of operation, automatic and graphical. Use graphical whenever possible, it it much more accurate, but more time consuming. Theraflu is the only way to go!
Old 12-15-2000, 07:36 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DECKER:
Use graphical whenever possible, it it much more accurate, but more time consuming.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find graphical very difficult to understand and use properly. The manual isn't helping me. I won't waste your time asking for a "how to," but is there a FAQ or something about graphical?

------------------
- Michael
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 12-15-2000, 09:19 AM

Michael:
Not sure where you can find more info on the graphical, but I was in the same boat 'til one nite when I decided to eat that elephant. It is a little confusing, but the manual does work 'cuz I was able to figure it out with a little hard studying of it.

It's worth figuring out, especially for fixing that one nasty note out of an otherwise quality phrase.

Happy Tuning,
kc
Old 12-16-2000, 07:58 AM

I have found that in the automatic mode that for some VX I could drop that retune fader down to 120+ and put the tracking on 0, or any variation to get rid of the "sliding" instances with the sound of the voice.

Also, are you puting the track into "bus" 12 or ?? and with a seperate track setting the input to bus 12 and recording the finished product, then draging the "polished" track back to the track of origin??--or--are you leaving the auto/tune open all the time??

Another consideration is the Scale Detune fader. This is set to "A" 440 and if you are in the octave below middle C this would pertain to "A" 220, so, drop the Detune fader down to -12 for a beter "read".

As far as the graphical window, the Tutorial (template with audio) which lives in the AutoTune Folder is very good for guiding you thru the book tutorial... ...JT
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 12-16-2000, 01:11 PM

Michael, I had another engineer show me how to use graphical. The most important thing to remember is to draw straight lines whenever possible. Of course you can't always do this cause it will effect the vibrato, but generally this will work. Any questions email me.
[email protected]
Old 12-16-2000, 02:28 PM

has anyone used some other outfits version of auto tune? redwing, didn't you hear there was a better plug in for vocal correction than autotune?