Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2000, 01:04 PM

Default Re: New Mac convert ... please help me out?

I don't use profiles because I'm the only one "logging in" to my Mac, but I have multiple extension sets: one for ProTools, one for Cubase, one for Internet Access.

Look under "Control Panels" and you'll see the "Extension Manager". Just set one up for Internet Access. I don't load TCP/IP for Protools, for instance.

It's similar to having multiple config.sys and autoexec.bat files on a PC.

Maybe you need one of those "Getting the Most out of your Mac" books? Sorry, but I don't know of any to recommend by name.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 08-24-2000, 04:19 PM

Welcome to the glorious universe of macdom!
You have several options available:
1. In OS9(which came preinstalled on the G4) there is a function to allow multiple users to log onto one computer and have completely different accounts, control panel settings and passwords. First go to apple menu>contol panels>multiple users. This allows you to set up the accounts and control what you want them to be able to do. This will give you different accounts for your web browser also. If you have questions go to the help menu>mac help. It will give you detailed walk-throughs to setup whatever you want.
2. If you are using internet explorer as a browser you are able to setup different email accounts but still use the same browser settings.
3. If you are using netscape you have the ability to setup completely different accounts with different browser settings(ie. bookmarks,display options, etc.)

I don't know of any books that teach the mac os from scratch, instead you can do what I did and learn by trial and error.........kids don't do this at home........
Hope this helps!
Old 08-25-2000, 12:01 AM

Default New Mac convert ... please help me out?

Hi all
I just bought a G4 and switched the 001 over from my PC.
Here's my problem: Can there be a second user profile (account) that could do internet stuff?
I love the mac much more than the PC and it pains me not to be able to do other stuff with it?

If anyone could recommend a book that is well written and explains user profiles and how to "reset" the machine back to factory specs, I would be happy to buy that.

Is anyone networking the mac with a win98 machine?
IS there a way to use the sessions that I have done on the PC, or are they lost?
My CD-RW is a HP8100 and it would be great if I could use it to continue burning my masters.... anyone doing this?

There are a million more things, but in a few weeks all should be well.

Sorry to be off topic, but I am so used to the microsoft platform and I have no one else to ask :)

Regards,
John Palentin
Old 08-25-2000, 06:43 AM

Hi John

I also use a different extension set for different applications. It's quite easy to set up, as LW said go the apple menu--->control panels---->extension manager. Duplicate the base set, rename it something like "digi001 set" and then enable all the digi extensions and control panels (minus the digi streaming manger if you don't use direct-connect) and the OMS ext's and control panels. You need to restart the mac for any changes here to take effect.

Then every time you boot the computer, you can hold down the spacebar during start up and choose a set of extension to load up. This means having to restart alot but it makes for pretty smooth running of your mac and minimal crashes. when running Protools....

Point of interest to self... I find my mac crashes most when using IE5 or outlook hmmmmm...... so what ever you do don't run PT and anything microsoft in the same session, almost a guaranteed crash..... strange that ?!?

anyway good luck.
//NW

[This message has been edited by Neil Ward (edited August 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Neil Ward (edited August 25, 2000).]
Old 08-25-2000, 06:06 PM

John,
I have just done exactly what you have. Only difference is I still use my PC for net stuff (the mac is dedicated to audio). I bought a removable bay for my PC HDD and an external USB HDD case with a second removable HDD bay for the Mac. Once I have created a Pro Tools session on the mac, I use stuffit to compress the folder with the session data and all audio files. I then copy to my PC HDD via the mac USB case and put the drive back into the PC. Then, I use Adaptec CD creator to burn the stuffit file to CD. I too have a HP burner. This CD can then be read in my mac and the session file unstuffed onto the mac HDD.
All sounds a bit fiddly, but it isn't really and it saves me needing to buy a second CD burner This method has never caused a problem for me. The only down side is the time it takes to copy large files using USB.
If I want to burn an audio master CD on my PC from a Pro Tools session on mac, I bounce to disk and select convert to WAV. Using the above method I create my audio CD.

[This message has been edited by Doc (edited August 25, 2000).]
Old 08-25-2000, 09:55 PM

Hello Doc

I have a new setup! Here's what I do:
On the PC (PIII500) I have installed BeOS5 personal edition and run AppleTalk.
In other words, I upload the stuff from the Mac to the PC using FTP (it is very fast) and then save it from BeOS to Drive C. From there I reboot to windows and burn.

If you don't want to mess with BeOS (just a small download (42MEG)) you can do the same with Linux too.

How do you restrain yourself from not using the Mac for EVERYTHING? I record now all the time... it's finally fun again! YAY!!!

I wish I had two Macs, no make that 3! lol

Regards,
J P
Old 08-26-2000, 12:16 AM

Thanks guys for helping out here.

After a few days of recording/editing/mixing.... waht can I say... I LOVE IT!
I wish I had this stuff on the last project.
btw, has anyone here used CoolEditPro (PC) and managed to transfer some of the tracks in a smarter way then importing audio.wavs and place them on new tracks? .... just wondering, because I feel that I could do better on a few tunes.

...time to torture that piano again!

Thanks again,
J Palentin
Old 09-01-2000, 06:39 PM

JP,
I have the full version of BeOS 4.5 but have uninstalled it to free up that partition for Colin McRae Rally I was playing this with my PC spdif out plugged into Digi's spdif input with a 5 channel surround mix setup in Pro Tools. Very cool much fun, especially with my new steering wheel and pedals. Hmmmm, back to reality.
I think I will stick with my removable drive system for the moment. I'm trying to decide whether more ram is the way to go on the mac or spend the money on another HD. I have 128 Meg on the mac and it seems to perform without any problems. I know that the recommended is 192 Meg but what sort of gains this will provide I don't know.
CU later,
Regards back,
David.
Old 09-01-2000, 09:24 PM

Hi John - I bought a book written by Macworld writer David Pogue called Mac OS 9 : The Missing Manual - very informative with stuff for mac newbies as well as "powerusers" you can also check it out on the web at www.missingmanual.com
later
Tony
Old 09-01-2000, 09:35 PM

crowdog
...small world, I bought that exact same book too (and I am glad I did).

thanks for the tip

Doc! Put BeOS back on your machine
.... I wish I had it in me to start a rumor... Digi is being ported to BeOS!
The above line is not true (just a Christmas wish of mine

... would be amazing dough )

bye,
J Palentin