Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 06-03-2005, 04:19 PM

Default WHAT NO OMF?!!! WHAT TO DO?

I feel like an idiot. I just purchased an M Audio 1814 for the sole purpose of using protools Mpowred. I have several Motu 828s that I love. I usually work in cubase sx 3. I was hoping to do post production work in Protools. I was shocked to discover that the Mpowered version does not support the importing of such a standard file format as OMF. I should have read the fine print better. But WTF.. Why would digidesign do such crap like this? how can the LE support this feature yet they go into the code and disable this feature in the Mp version? Friends of mine warned me about Digidesign and how they do crap like this.

Anyway.. now that i'm stuck with that currently useless software (for me cause there is no way i'm working in PTs from the start of a project..) because i opened the box, is there a workaround for this? Is there any type of inexpensive utility that I can use to convert my OMF files from programs like DP4.5 and Cubase into protools? Thanks..
Old 06-03-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: WHAT NO OMF?!!! WHAT TO DO?

I always record a few seconds of blank space on the begining of every track and glue the sections
together,and bounce them together as one part on each track. I save the project and export or copy
the files into a new folder. Also,if you are using the metronome and/or midi tracks,export those
as well.

When you open a new session in Pro Tools, import any midi tracks you have first as this will
set up the original tempo you had in SX. Make a note of how many and which tracks are mono
and stereo,and just create/label them. Then all you do is import the audio files into the session
and drag 'n 'drop them into the appropriate tracks. By recording blank space onto the begining
of each track in SX, the files will line up perfectly at the start of the timeline.

Afterward you can just go back in with the trimmer tool set in 'grid' mode and cut off the extra
space at the begining of the files. Be sure to save the project once everything is lined up!!
It does take a few minutes,but it sure saves the headaches of lining things back up.

I've found this to work perfectly 100% of the time. I have freinds that use other programs
that need me to mix projects for them and I find it easy to swap files in this manner.
And quite honestly I dont see the real need for OMF unless it involves serious video work.

In all the times I've used OMF for transfering projects, the regions never line up the
way they're supposed to and things double up on adjacent tracks. I've spent hours going
back and correcting things. I've tried the demo of the Digi translator and it completely
mangled my audio. Things were off pitch,skipped and played back at different speeds.
For me it's not worth it.
PT Mpowered 8.04, Logic 9.1.1
Waves SSL,Omnisphere,Korg Legacy Digital
Absynth 4, EZ Drummer
Project Mix I/O w/ Black Lion Mod
Axiom 61,25, Korg Nano Pad
Old 06-03-2005, 08:07 PM

you have some options.... broadcast wave files are timestamped... i track in nuendo at my practice studio then import the files into protools then spot them to the stamped timecode.... EDL covert can do the job but it's has a high price tag http://www.cuibono-soft.com/
Old 06-04-2005, 11:30 AM

i should also mention that protools cant open allot of omf's directly.. like from cubase.. we have to use AV Transfer to cleen up all are omfs... http://www.avtransferonline.com/