Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Exclamation Delay Comp question

Hey guys,

So, lately, and only lately, I've run into some delay compensation problems. I'm using two plugins on my Drum Buss. I have the SSL Comp TDM and the SPL Transient Designer RTAS plug. For some reason, even with the Long Delay Comp selected, it still turns red and needs a longer delay.

In samples, the delay for that track is at 2119 samples. The Long Delay Comp says that it goes up to 4095 samples. Why is the delay comp "red light of death" coming on? Also, why does it sound like crap with only two plugs on?

The strangest thing is that I have several tracks with that same plug in combo on, and those tracks are fine!

Here's a pic...please help.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2...5/Picture5.png

Last edited by Kourquie; 06-25-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: messed up the hyperlink
Old 06-25-2009, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Delay Comp question

If there are other channels before or after the drum bus (in the same signal path) with high latency plugins, the combined signal path can exceed the ADC limit even though the channel in question does not.

For example, if one of the channels feeding the drum bus has 1000+ samples of delay, the drum bus has 2000+ of its own and the master channel has 1000+, the cumulative amount will exceed the limit, hence the "red light of death".

Without seeing your entire session, I can't say if this is your problem, but have a look...

I'd like to see the upper limit of ADC done away with altogether. Use more DSP, native CPU...whatever...just do the math and let us chain plugins into oblivion...
Old 06-25-2009, 03:05 PM

1. Try not to have TDM and RTAS plugin on the same track. Dont ever put a TDM plugin between two RTAS. If you need to have RTAS, put all RTAS.
2. Lower the HW buffer setting
3. Is the SPL from the UAD DSP card? You have to set both HW buffer on the same value.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:22 PM

I thought that in one of the versions of 7 they incorporated the use of RTAS with TDM. I might be mistaken. Either way I will make the SSL Comp RTAS as well and try that. Thanks Mediterraneo.

And Zaco, I do have several tracks feeding the drum buss, so I will check that and see what I can do. I do strongly agree, though, why the limit!?!?! Especially with all of the newer high latency plugs! We shouldn't have to sacrifice the sound of our recordings/mixes because of arbitrary limitations on Digi's end! The list of problems, workarounds, inefficiencies, and lack of customization in PT makes me VERY upset...dare I say the "N" word? I hear the editing sucks on Nuendo, though.

Thanks for your help guys, and DIGI...please look into higher ADC settings! Also, add a pref for the F-keys and the sub-functions of the editing tools! SERIOUSLY... I've written SO many emails and feature requests BEGGING for this! C'MON!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM

You can use RTAS with TDM, but as Mediterraneo mentioned, you have to be careful of the order. Always make RTAS plugs first in the chain and TDM plugs later. Ignoring this will cause higher latency, but is not the source of the problem in regards to your original question.

Check those tracks feeding the drum bus...
Old 06-25-2009, 03:57 PM

That was exactly the problem...that and the HW Buffer. I brought it down and the delay went down as well. Makes sense. This just started happening since trashing my prefs...and that's the one setting I didn't change back.

Thanks a ton guys!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:20 PM

hang on I thought this was the last remaining reason to get hd...

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.