How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2016, 08:01 PM

Default PT12 session created with a newer version

Im running PT 12.4 on El Capitan.
I have tried to open a session i have been working on for weeks including yesterday. I get a message: The document cant be opened because it was created on a newer version of protools. It incomprehensible. Please can anyone help? I cant do anything now. Nor can I open backup sessions. I get the same message.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:44 PM

Default Re: PT12 session created with a newer version

The only thing i can think of is to create a new empty file and import everything from the file you can't open. It must be corrupt for some reason.

If it turns out to be corrupt preferences go here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340741 and Dl the app to backup NEW preferences after you trash the old ones. This way you have a nice virgin set to resort to should your preferences become corrupted again.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:48 PM

Yep. Corrupt session. Roll back to your last saved backup (was auto save enabled?). Did you make your own backups?

If not try as suggested create a new session and reimport into that.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:19 PM

Thanks guys, the back up session from time machine was no better. problem with importing into a new session is that I have all the audio files in the audio folder and i dont know which ones i have actually kept in the session. Does that make sense - will pro tools figure that out?
Old 04-24-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyreed View Post
Thanks guys, the back up session from time machine was no better. problem with importing into a new session is that I have all the audio files in the audio folder and i dont know which ones i have actually kept in the session. Does that make sense - will pro tools figure that out?
It should..... Only one way to find out! BTW - If other sessions open just fine, then this one is corrupt. If nothing else opens and you get the same error, then your preferences gotta go.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:40 PM

Before doing anything more. Make a new full copy of the session folder (and any other session content elsewhere). Ideally on a different physical drive.

Was auto save enabled? Do you see those saves in the session folder?

Time machine is one of my least favorite backup mechanisms. But if autosave did now work for you can you find the backup from a previous point that works? Not the most recent time machine backup? You may be lucky and be able to just drop that session file in place and use the all the current audio content files.

You can also try an import session data and see if that works.

Do not rely on any of this crap. Shut down pro Tools, like at the end of each day or half day and take a fill manual copy of the session. Put on an external drive and then disconnect that drive, and/or copy to a NAS box or similar and ideally protect it against accidental overwrite/deletion.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:24 PM

Thanks Darryl and Ron, other session files open so its this one that is corrupt. I do keep trying to restore old session files form time machine, but they dont seem to be overwriting the corrupt one. the date remains the same. I will do as you say from now on Darryl and do my back up manually. I did have auto save on but disabled it because I started to get a message about " cant read data quick enough from the hard drive" Also I didn't think it was a good idea to have this happening while I was recording. probaby a stupid thing to do.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:00 PM

You keep talking about Time Machine. Forget that. Did you check in the Session File Backups folder--Hopefully you have that enabled. Look for the last saves before the corruption started. And work back from there until something opens.

Steve