Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2014, 02:39 PM

Default Clocking 2 HD IO from Burl AD

Hi,

I did do a search and didn't get the type of info that I was looking for.

I'm setting up my rig with two HD IO (24 total analog out) into SSL Sigma, and then sending the stereo sum from the Sigma to a Burl B2 ADC, and then sending that back into PT using AES into one of the HD IO. B2 has two WC outputs. Just want to get a few ideas. I may try a couple using the same mix to see which works (sounds) best.

So I'm thinking I should use one WC-out of Burl into the WC-in of the HD IO that will receive the AES. Then I will loop sync that HD IO to the other one and back. I guess the other possibility would be to use both WC outputs of Burl and go directly into each HD IO. If so, would I still need to use loop sync or not in that configuration?

Also, either way, would I need use a T-terminator for the HD IO that's connected to the Burl? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Especially if someone is clocking their HD IO rig from an external AD converter.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Clocking 2 HD IO from Burl AD

Quote:
So I'm thinking I should use one WC-out of Burl into the WC-in of the HD IO that will receive the AES. Then I will loop sync that HD IO to the other one and back.
good thinking

Quote:
I guess the other possibility would be to use both WC outputs of Burl and go directly into each HD IO. If so, would I still need to use loop sync or not in that configuration?
not good thinking

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-13-2014, 05:49 PM

AWESOME REPLY!! I LOVE the way you put it. Not only did I learn what to do, but what not to do. This is awesome feedback. Appreciate it. Thanks a million Craig.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:44 AM

Surprisingly, since he's usually dead on, Craig is a bit off on this one...

Loop sync is for use only with Avid interfaces...and one of the Avid interfaces must be the master clock.

Slug1 said, "I guess the other possibility would be to use both WC outputs of Burl and go directly into each HD IO. If so, would I still need to use loop sync or not in that configuration?" Close, but no cigar.

You have two options...

1. You can come out of one of the Burl's Word Clock Outs to one "arm" of a BNC "tee". The leg of the tee connects to the Word Clock in on one HD I/O, the other arm of the tee is connected to a 75 ohm BNC terminator. You will do this with each of your HD I/O's.

2. You can come out of one of the Burl's Word Clock Outs to one "arm" of a BNC "tee". The leg of the tee connects to the Word Clock in on the first HD I/O. A coax cable connects the other arm of the first tee to an arm on a second tee, the leg of the tee connects to the Word Clock In on the second HD I/O. The other arm on the second tee is connected to a 75 ohm BNC terminator.

You cannot use Loop Sync unless you are using a loop of only Avid HD I/O's, or if you have an Avid Sync as one of the units in the loop. One of the Avid units will then be the Word Clock Master, all of the other units must be set as Word Clock Slaves.

Also, you cannot do a "straight line" or "daisy chain" using Word Clock Outs to Word Clock Ins. The only Word Clock Out you can use is on the device that will be the Word Clock Master, and the Word Clock In on the Word Clock Master cannot be used. You cannot use a "daisy chain" at all, and for a "straight line" you would use the connection arrangement described in #2 above.
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 08-14-2014, 07:23 AM

I will have to test this tomorrow myself, but I could swear that it is possible to:

1) have 3rd party box as master clock (in my case, Apogee Rosetta800 w/XHD)
2) deliver that clock to digidesign/avid interfaces (192analog&192digital)
3) have the digidesign/avid interfaces loop sync themselves (as in more than one)

Right now I won't say whether someone is right or wrong, but I have this remembrance of earlier setups in which I have had more than one digidesign/avid interfaces loop synced together but accepting wordclock from a 3rd party box.

Today, I just need to get some rest :)
Old 08-14-2014, 08:07 AM

Bill I read it as Loop Syncing the HD interfaces then driving the first one from the Burl

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-14-2014, 09:14 AM

I come out of my antelope clock into the word clock in on unit #1 and then loop sync unit #1 and #2 together. It works fine and I have no clocking issues.
Is that not the right way to do it? I'm pretty sure I've seen some threads on here where this was decided to be the best method for no clocking issues.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM

HD interfaces are always happiest Loop Synced together, so you are good

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-14-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
HD interfaces are always happiest Loop Synced together, so you are good
That's what I thought but I got confused when I read Bill's post.

Thanks Craig!!

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
That's what I thought but I got confused when I read Bill's post.

Thanks Craig!!

That's what I thought too, but my brain is now overloaded by +10 hours of tuning vocals so I cannot really be sure