Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Default There must be a mistake with Crossgrade price...

Crossgrade HD1 to HDX costs 8k and you only get an HDX card with software.
HDX with Omni costs 10k when you buy it without giving up your HD1. Then you can sell Omni on eBay for 2k and HD Core PCIe for 2k. This way the upgrade is 6k. I think Crossgrade should be cheaper.

It seems they don't really want people to do crossgrades. If they did, fair price should be somewhere in the area of 4-5k USD for exchanging HD1 to HDX card. Not that long time ago many of us paid 5-6k for HD1...
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 10-21-2011, 10:17 AM

Default Re: There must be a mistake with Crossgrade price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
Crossgrade HD1 to HDX costs 8k and you only get an HDX card with software.
HDX with Omni costs 10k when you buy it without giving up your HD1. Then you can sell Omni on eBay for 2k and HD Core PCIe for 2k. This way the upgrade is 6k. I think Crossgrade should be cheaper.

It seems they don't really want people to do crossgrades. If they did, fair price should be somewhere in the area of 4-5k USD for exchanging HD1 to HDX card. Not that long time ago many of us paid 5-6k for HD1...
+1

... and even lower for an HD2 or HD3 Accel rig
Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM

See my post further down the forum mate - It seems valued customers are been robbed and forced to either waste money or move to a different DAW.
It's plain greed - all we ask for is fairness and an incentive to pay out our hard earned cash!
kj
Old 10-21-2011, 10:51 AM

I hate to say it but it definitely appears that Avid's actions reflect shareholders' interests far an above the interests of it's customers.

The difference between $299 PT10 and $1000 PTHD with minor differences in software is an insult to loyal customers of 14+ years like myself. Not because of the price, but because of the lack of fair value for price.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 PM

They just simply want to encourage HD users to buy HDX instead of upgrading or cross grading. They simply value HD as zero $. They let you buy HDX card for 8k without the interface when you give your HD1 back to them. Why would anyone do that, when we can buy it with Omni interface for 2k more and still keep the HD?
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 10-22-2011, 07:10 AM

Good point. I was just saying in another thread, that it seems like people will do better to sell their existing systems and get one of the new bundles, rather than doing the trade up offer.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:19 AM

I find the software pricing for the HD 10 software quite offensive. $1000 is too much for an upgrade.

OCCUPY AVID!!!

Steve
Old 10-23-2011, 01:58 PM

It seems Digidesign/Avid keep making the same rookie mistake of penalizing the long term customers. This pricing means buying a new system and selling the old for very little $ is still the most economical thing to do. A better ploy is for companies like to basically sell the new system upgrades essentially at cost, and take the old systems out of the market and destroy them. Once the math is all said and done, this will mean more revenue for Avid, because there are not all these old systems floating around in the market, plus Avid will have immediate market acceptance, very happy long term customers, and more direct Avid customers because new customers will end up purchasing new systems and not old hand-me downs.

Greed is truly a form of blindness. . .
Old 10-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
Greed is truly a form of blindness. . .
Greed? Do you actually know how much Avid spent in R&D on the new cards? I doubt anyone knows but them. But check their annual R&D budget, that should give you a pretty good idea.

It's not greed. It's recouping on bringing new hardware/software on the market. If you don't recoup on those costs, then you simply fall unsolvable and eventually close.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-23-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Greed? Do you actually know how much Avid spent in R&D on the new cards? I doubt anyone knows but them. But check their annual R&D budget, that should give you a pretty good idea.

It's not greed. It's recouping on bringing new hardware/software on the market. If you don't recoup on those costs, then you simply fall unsolvable and eventually close.
Let´s just face the reality of the matter; these upgrade prices are WAY TOO HIGH.

+ All the nice new features like Disk cache are only available in PT10 HD. Which makes no sense, at least I wont be upgrading from PT9 to PT10 for 300$ just for clip gain & realtime fades. All the advanced functions are only available in HD or if you buy the horrifically overpriced toolkit to unlock features that are already in your software. HOWEVER that upgrade price is a walk in the park compared to what HD users are facing at the moment.
Avid are getting greedier by the minute & solely focusing on post studios.

p.s Emcha_audio you are clearly an AVID employee.

www.einarvilberg.com
www.hljodverk.com