How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2017, 07:21 PM

Default transfer from DAT via Apogee

Hi
I used to use MBOX and spdif to bring Dat recordings into Protools but now with Protools 12 I'm not sure what to do. I have and Apogee Duet and tried to connect with the rca's into the breakout cable, with a connector into the mic input but nothing is coming across.
thanks
Budinski
Protools 12.5
iMac 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sony Dat PCM-M1
Old 09-21-2017, 07:43 PM

I don’t follow that if this worked before why it is harder now on a different interface. What exactly is the issue? Just lack of coaxial S/PDIF In?

We cannot guess what you are doing wrong. There is way too little information here. What exact cable connected exactly where. What exact cable wiring. You have to be careful going from single sided consumer wiring to balanced professional audio wiring. You say going from the RCA outputs to a mic input.. so I suspect you are screwing up that connection. The DAT output is normally stereo and you would need to go from each of both analog RCA outputs into two separate line level inputs on your interface. Are you trying to transfer a stereo recording or is it mono in this case?

Do the DAT player output meters move? Does it play anything out of its analog outs to monitors, or headphone? What exact model DAT player, etc

Your Apogee Duet has optical S/PDIF In, and your DAT likely had S/PDIF out on optical (TOSLINK) or coaxial copper. If the later you can get a low-cost coaxial to TOSLINK S/PDIF converter.

The DAT should be 48 kHz, fire up a 48 kHz session and try recording that S/PDIF input connected to the DAT player.

You have to read the Twin documentation to set the TOSLINK input to S/PDIF not ADAT.

If you can’t work this out look up local transfer services and find somebody who can create a
WAV or AIFF files from the DAT tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-21-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Re: transfer from DAT via Apogee

Darryl is confusing the Apogee Duet with another interface as the Duet has no digital I/O facility at all.

You'll need to go analog from the 1/8" stereo output jack on the DAT into the 1/4" input jacks on the Duet breakout cable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 PM

Oh doh, I was thinking of the Apogee Twin.

If the DAT player had XLR/professional outputs use them, if only RCA then OK use those...

The Duet has two balanced XLR mic/ input cables. You need to go from the unbalanced RCA line out connectors on the DAT to the XLR (not 1/4 jack) inputs on the combo inputs and set the line input level to -10dBV (read the manual) (not +4dBu, not microphone). If working with a stereo recording you need two separate RCA to XLR balanced audio cables. Like two of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UNIT9A..._SHkXzb4HREZBK (If you have ground hum problems you may need to look for a unbalanced to balanced transformer/balun coupling box).

Start by confirming DAT meters move when you play stuff, audio out through headphones on the DAT player, then input meters etc. are moving in Pro Tools.

.... or find somebody who can transfer this digitally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-21-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 AM

do you know if your iMac has a Combo Analog / Digital Optical input Port ?? .. some of the older ones might have these .. you would need an Spdif to optical converter of course ..

if not, do as the others say, and go in analog .. not much other choice unless you know someone with a computer with spdif input that you can borrow fr your transfers ..

just a couple thoughts

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 09-24-2017, 02:15 AM

Thanks all. It worked! I just had to buy new cable to go into the breakout cables on apogee from my old dat player.