Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Pro Tools M-Powered + Firewire 18/14 problems.

I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop to run pro tools mpowered with a fire wire 18/14, but I've had nothing but problems. I have been able to sort out a few issues, but the latest problem to occur is as follows:

I recorded my band a few days ago using all 8 inputs on the 18/14, this was fine until last night when I tried to add another guitar track. I added the new track and enabled it for recording, then I enabled the master record button and hit space bar to start the recording. Everything was fine for about 30 seconds I could hear the music I had previously recorded and the new guitar track, level meters were reading up fine the way they should, but then for no apparent reason a loud buzzing noise near blew my ear drums to bits. The record meter of the new track had frozen too. Whenever I deactivated the record button on the new track, the buzzing noise stopped.

I tried recording a few times and still the same problem.

Any ideas anyone? I'm starting to think maybe I should have opted for something other than pro tools.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools M-Powered + Firewire 18/14 problems.

I know this sounds nuts...but try this:

Go to File> Inport Audio to Region List> Pull up any soundfile on your PC> preview it> hit cancel> return to PT and see if your sound works then.

I have an M-audio Firewire 410, it does the exact same thing and that is what I have to do to get it to play again. It's the only way I know how to "reset" your soundcard in PT. By the way, my problem isn't protools..its that bloody M-Audio unit, or as they say an "IRQ conflict".

Let me know if that works.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. Instead pro tools crashed. I'm going nuts trying to get this damn thing to run smoothly.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:34 PM

Perhaps try to narrow down the root cause.

1. Move the probject files to the local drive and remove the external HD. Add a guitar track and try to reproduce the problem. If all goes well then maybe its a firewire conflict.

2. Make a backup of your project. Delete one of the tracks you recorded before then add the new guitar track. If it works then it has something to do with the number of tracks - perhaps CPU usage related?

Try to eliminate plugins or other stuff that could be causing the problem and see if it goes away. Report back your findings.

fizbin
Old 01-10-2006, 04:56 PM

Interesting, lots of people are saying they are having loads of trouble with FW 1814s or 410s and Inspiron 9300s... check this link out http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post388993725
Its a bit long, cut a long story short, most people solved their problems by getting a third party pcmcia firewire card with a TI (Texas Instruments) chipset. Have a read for all the itty gritty details... Its actually regarding the FW 410, but it will very likely apply to the 1814 too.
Hope this helps
Old 02-03-2006, 08:34 AM

has anyone actually tried this yet??
does it work??
Old 02-05-2006, 01:43 AM

one of the biggest problems here seems to be the native firewire port,, if your firewire port on your very expensive dell laptop( i have one) does not not have the texas instrument chipset, then you will more than likely have problems between PT and FW,,, i have PTM7 << >> FW1814,,,,,,
works perfectly on my wifes dell with a TI chipset firewire port<< but on my xps gen2(2800 bucks)
serious problems,,,,, i bought the pyro 1394 api-601 card recommended by M-AUDIO,, the card is recogonized by my computer, but does not see the FW1814,,, have tried every conceivable configuration and i am running short on patience,, i have a M-AUdio mobilepre(USB) that works perfectly with PTM7 on my very expensive laptop,, go figure ? ? > anyone who wants to give me any advise , feel free,, it's been a challenging adventure,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 02-05-2006, 07:19 AM

When you put in the api-601, did you disable the one in the xps? Or were they both running?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-05-2006, 07:53 PM

i have the exact same problem with my asus zv71 laptop

very time consuming and frustrating having to reset when in the middle of recording, also interupts the flow of work.

having spent lots of $$$ this is very troublesome

Ludi
Old 02-06-2006, 12:00 AM

hi,
i believe this is a M-audio FW driver issue. we have two computers
running 1814's .. my Vaio laptop .. which has no problems at all .. and
a desktop .. which has an external FW interface. the desktop system does
exactly what you describe .. only it does it with other apps too (Vegas,
SoundForge and SonarPE). so .. it's not just a PT thing. and it's frickin'
scary when it happens, we thought we were going to blow a pair of monitors.
jeff