Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 12-08-2001, 04:39 PM

Default Bad fader problems-Anyone Else?

We have had ongoing fader problems with out PC ever since we have had it, over 2 years now. Constantly having to RECAL. I bought one new fader(over $200). Now I have a couple acting up again. I have swapped them around some. Seems like when one starts giving trouble it sometimes will work in another position(We have 24/PC-2FP's).

Has anyone else had this many problems? It looks like the motor is connected directly to the plug. The chips/resistor components look to be part of the optical data section. If so, I am not sure what causes the motor to go so squirrely. But, as you know when it does, everything on the fader quits, touch, data output etc.

So what are we to do?

Any ideas, Digi? Can these be repaired? Can we get new motors from your or Maxon?

I am looking for some help!

For what these units costs, the faders should be much more reliable? They certainly are not. Future PC buyers beware!!!!

George
Classic Recording, Nashville
www.classicrecording.com
Old 12-10-2001, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Bad fader problems-Anyone Else?

I have had some problems with my PC. It all started out that I noticed some loss in frequencies and things sounded dull during playback. Then some digits didnt work in the ruler. I contacted Digidesign and I had to send my PC to Ireland (I live in Sweden). They have a system using refurbished PC's, so I got one of those refurbished one's back just a couple of days later. This one was supposed to be checked and fixed in every way. However, the first thing that I noticed was that one of the faders didn't work as it should. I had to send the unit back and recieve yet another PC. It could be that this problem "comes with age".

BTW, getting a refurbished one is a little more than $1000. That inludes shipping [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Robert
Old 12-10-2001, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Bad fader problems-Anyone Else?

Robert:

I have heard and read of several having this problem. I never had any frequency problems that I noticed. As for age. We actually had intermitent problems with faders almost since day 1. Never have had anyone incl. Dig(and they should be the ones) to comment or offer a solution. For the price of these things, this should be addressed. I don't see having to buy a $200 fader everytime this starts.

We are in the only business that can't seem to get things fixed by the makers...
Gets very frustrating..
www.classicrecording.com