Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2003, 11:32 AM

Default getting rid of background noise / hum

I did a search for 'background noise' and didn't get much...
when I record my acoustic guitar with my NTK, of course, I turn everything off: fans, tv's, anything that makes a significant noise..

are there any tricks to get out the rest of the noise that is still there..
if the acoustic guitar is in the mix with other stuff, there is nothing noticable, but if i put this guitar in the beginning all by itself, you can definately hear just noise..

are there frequencies commonly associated with this that you can cut out, or maybe use a gate, or any other tricks to get that studio sounding acoustic..

thanks
tim
Old 09-24-2003, 12:10 PM

Default Re: getting rid of background noise / hum

What is the noise? Do you hear it while the guitar is playing, or only in the quiet parts in between notes or chords?

Quote:
when I record my acoustic guitar with my NTK, of course, I turn everything off: fans, tv's, anything that makes a significant noise..

are there any tricks to get out the rest of the noise that is still there..
if the acoustic guitar is in the mix with other stuff, there is nothing noticable, but if i put this guitar in the beginning all by itself, you can definately hear just noise..

are there frequencies commonly associated with this that you can cut out, or maybe use a gate, or any other tricks to get that studio sounding acoustic..

thanks
tim

Old 09-24-2003, 12:39 PM

A gate or expander will get rid of most ambient noise. Hum will require EQ - Waves has settings to eliminate hum. Play with plug-ins on your noisy tracks and see how well it works
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-24-2003, 12:55 PM

Quote:
What is the noise? Do you hear it while the guitar is playing, or only in the quiet parts in between notes or chords?

not anything imparticular.. like cliff said, ambient noise, thats what i was trying to explain..

no hums that i can tell, its just noise that the mic is picking up.. ambient stuff..
Old 09-24-2003, 08:29 PM

treat the room or use better isolation to eliminate the noise. If it an AC hum problem, look to your system wiring and AC source and correct the problem. Either case, find the problem and make it right, don't try to fix in the mix.

If this is a track already recorded with no chance of retracking, you're kinda screwed. A soft gate will help, and some eq, but there's no majic noise removal plugin, it needs to be tracked properly.

Old 09-24-2003, 10:53 PM

thanks.. rerecording is definately an option..
I am looking into getting into a quieter setting.
a friend of mine is soon getting into an apartment, hopefully with a 2nd bedroom and big closet, all for the studio..
I would imagine a closet setting would be pretty quiet away from computer, and ac and everything..

like I said i am using the NTK, so tell me, with that alone, when you hear an acoustic song on cd by itself, is it just really that quiet, the room.. or is there gating and eq going on just to remove noise??

if its soley in the room, then I'll change some things around and get it quiter..

Old 09-24-2003, 11:48 PM

its an isolation booth!
Old 09-25-2003, 05:23 AM

Quote:
its an isolation booth!
It's really that quiet. actually alot of acoustic guitars are recorded in mainrooms, to get a warm, natural reverb. However the environment is very quiet, acoustically siolated. If you're trying to record this in teh same room as your computer, don't. You need a room away from the noise...fans, HDD..also watch things like chair creaks, HVAC, pets.

I assume the mic itself is not the problem, and you've listened to it. A bad tube can emit what may appear to be backround noise.

cheap solutions are utilizing closets, haning blankets, comforters to form a temporary iso booth. the bathroom can work well, with or without treatment, depending on what sound you're going for. Hang a heavy blanket over the whower rod and over the sink to deden reflections, and sit the performer on the throne.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:22 PM

thanks where.. thats the kinda stuff im looking for..
the mic is near brand new, so the tube should be fine (though I have a backup on hand)
Im not in a studio here.. we're dealing with an apartment, so those are the kinda tips i was looking for.
i am definately going to try and get in a separate room from the computer. thats why i mentioned the closet.
i'll have to wait till we get the place and try it out.
now i know its all in the room, so i won't waste my time with eq's and such when that isn't the problem!!!

thnx all
Old 09-25-2003, 03:31 PM

Quote:

You don´t describe the character of the noice. One very commen noice in appartments are neonlights or lowenergy lamps and they can be in the bathroom or many rooms away. This sounds like a ground problem sound and sometimes goes away when you tuch your equipment.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix