Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-24-2002, 06:57 AM

Default Anyone else interested in Expansion Options for PT LE hardware???

Yes, I knew what feature-set I was buying into when I purchased my 001, and this is not a complaint at all. Far from it.

Personally, I would love for Digi to develop an upgrade for the 001 that would enable users to have more physical digital and analog I/O. I only need the digital, but I'm sure others would like more analog I/O (although this can currently be accomplished with existing outboard A/D/D/A converters). The box I have in mind would allow for an additional 24 channels of ADAT Lightpipe I/O and then whatever other doodads would be necessary to appeal to the market and make this thing sell. Only 16 channels and some more analog I/O? I'm still buying one, maybe two, at that feature-set.

Perhaps a box that would accept the strange little SCSI-looking cable from the PCI card and then have a pass-through in order to connect to the existing 001 box? You could then daisychain a few of these boxes in order to increase your I/O options. This is probably not possible due to existing architecture, but I wouldn't know.
Better yet; a Digidesign Proprietary Firewire box so that 002 users would also benefit and then Digi would be able to target more users (and said user's $$$).

And to answer the marketing types as to why anyone would need this (let's put it to the marketing guys another way) or actually PAY for this; I use a digital mixer and no longer wish to suffer the losses of multiple D/A/A/D conversions. Not to mention having to adjust for the additional latency of the channels that are leaving the 001 through the analog outs.

Is it important to me? Yes. So much so, that I've been investigating competing developer's offerings and solutions as a possible alternative. I'm willing to drop up to $2000 with them, but would rather continue to invest with Digi as I've been with them for years. The migration wouldn't be too painful as the majority of plug-in developers now cater to the entire host processing market and some even ship all versions in each package.

If anyone else is interested, or has relevant comments, please let it be known.
And for all the wise-acres... notice that I said my budget was $2000 and is not quite up to ProTools|HD territory.

Thanks for the bandwidth,

gen-x
Old 09-24-2002, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Anyone else interested in Expansion Options for PT LE hardware???

i say a modular approach to PTLE is a great idea and would enable digi to start taking sales away from all the products we spend money on to compliment our 001s. i own a AI3, for example. if digi had a comparable product or if i could use multiple 001's on the same system, i may have given digi my $$$ instead of whoever bought alesis...
Old 09-24-2002, 10:48 AM

Db, your right, and I've always stood by the idea of modular systems,heck, I've started topics about this. You stack your gear or units as much as you need, as much as your work requires, as much as your willing to $pend, as much as this moment in your carrear deserves, or whatever picks your fancy.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:59 PM

What you describe is exactly the way TDM works today. Yes it is expensive but it does exactly what you want.

I don't think digi are interested in marketing a cheaper product to compete with themselves!

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 09-25-2002, 02:45 AM

As long as the software feature sets of LE and TDM remain the way that they are (no SMPTE ruler, lack of Beat Detective, no video sync,etc.) I don't think that there will be much in the way of competition between any of the existing products.
The pricing strata are additional factors that will continue to seperate one product from gouging into the other. The cost of even a used Mix system, just to get 24 channels of physical I/O is far beyond attainable/justifiable for many. A sub $1000 'Farm I/O Firewire Box' is not and is money in the Digi coffers, as opposed to a current or potential purchaser seeking to have their needs met elsewhere.

Although the system that I am describing is superficially similar to a Mix system, it remains far from being one.

The only thing that I can see as being a conflict of interest is that HD owners would expect to be able to connect said imaginary Firewire box to their rigs, thereby cutting into the pricier HD hardware sales; although this is easily defeatable in software.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:50 AM

If you surf the DUC searching for similar topics you'll find lots of them; I'm in the same situation as you: need more hardware I/O (digital mostly), and my most recourring dream is one where one morning I open the Digi WEB page and find they put out a new PCI card that has 16 ch of ADAT lightpipe and is also capable of S/MUX to get 8 channes of 96KHZ I/O; I'd run out and get one with my A/D converters of choice. The world would be a better place. Other manufacturers are already implementig multi I/O on their soundcards (have you checked out the MOTU 2408MK?), but I swear nobody of us wants to change software (this is my only complain, I don't find myself as comfortable with other softwares as I am with Pro Tools).

Let's hope that after a lot of crying and moaning Digi will answer our call, like they did with the XP drivers: if nobody asks they are never going to develop it.

Keep asking

L.G.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:08 AM

Bumpin' because I still care!
Old 09-30-2002, 04:49 PM

It would be great to have just 8 digital i/o
Like an ADAT PCI card, Its pretty easy to do and you could use a unit an Apogee AD-16.
At least we would have the ability to have 16 channels of good AD-DA converters.

Think about it Digi, just 8 more.

PLEASE !!!!

Why not put PTLE Asio compatible, its just simpler. Cheapper.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:58 PM

This will do the job. It's a painless upgrade. Gets you under 2K with the 001.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigimaxLT/
Old 09-30-2002, 05:59 PM

I think Digi is interested in any product that will make them money,the 001 has made them a ton, I'm sure.The new expantion of thier company shows, that the price point for this piece is right on the mark.