Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 PM

Default Fan Noise: HD Native With Sonnet Echo Express SE

I'm working with a client's HD Native rig, Sonnet Thunderbolt adapter for the HD Native card. The issue is that the Sonnet fan is pretty loud. Anyone know if I can safely disconnect the fan? The HD Native card is the only card in the adapter. Thanks for your help! Best…H
Old 01-06-2014, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Fan Noise: HD Native With Sonnet Echo Express SE

Avid Thunderbolt HDN has pretty good aluminum enclosure that takes down the heat. So I suspect the card gets pretty warm if you run it for hours. If you only run it few hours I think it does not matter if it's cooled or not. Up to you how much risk you want to take.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 PM

I use the OWC Helios thunderbolt enclosure for my HD|Native and disabled the fan (same issue, it was crazy loud for such a little box).

Have had no issues with it getting too hot, and it's powered on 24/7.

From what I read the fans in these enclosures are more for cooling high-end graphics cards with CPU's on them and the like, the HD|Native card doesn't get hot like those do.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
I use the OWC Helios thunderbolt enclosure for my HD|Native and disabled the fan (same issue, it was crazy loud for such a little box).

Have had no issues with it getting too hot, and it's powered on 24/7.

From what I read the fans in these enclosures are more for cooling high-end graphics cards with CPU's on them and the like, the HD|Native card doesn't get hot like those do.

Damn, that's a great idea! I wish I would have thought of it when I had mine.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:13 AM

I got a reply from Sonnet:

"While we don’t typically advise disconnecting the fans in the units, most audio cards do not generate much heat, so you may not experience any issue with doing so to reduce noise. However, this is something that you will be doing at your own risk, should there be any complications resulting from lack of sufficient airflow."

I'm having our tech install a mini toggle to allow disabling the fan.

Best…H
Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 AM

A temperature probe would be a good idea also, at least for the sort term or if it could be set to turn the fan on at a high limit would be even better

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig