Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 AM

Default PT 12 Track Presets

This isn't new, been around for some time but I'm just getting around to implementing it. Figured I would reiterate the steps for anyone in the same boat. If you don't understand what this is about, search up a video on PT track presets and it will all become apparent. Anyhow, here's how I did it in 12 and I'm sure it works this way in 11 as well. 10 and before have different instructions but I'm sure they are pretty easy to find.

SOLVED: The actual track presets have to be in subfolders under the "Track Presets" folder. If they are in the root, they don't show up. So, for anyone looking for the quick and dirty steps for this for PT12 (and likely 11 too):

1. Create a Track Presets (plural) folder under Documents / Pro Tools
2. Create your track preset sessions, select the tracks you want to have as part of the preset and Export them as a session to the folder you just created. HOWEVER, you need to put them in logical subfolders like maybe 2Bus, Vox, Cue, etc.....whatever.
3. Once saved, go to explorer or whatever it's called in Mac-land and change the file suffix from .PTX to .PTXT making it a template.
4. Now when you use the new track dialog, you'll see your subfolders listed under the track type drop-down and you can select any of your self-created presets from there.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 AM

Default Re: PT 12 Track Presets hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeefauver View Post
This isn't new, been around for some time but I'm just getting around to implementing it. Figured I would reiterate the steps for anyone in the same boat. If you don't understand what this is about, search up a video on PT track presets and it will all become apparent. Anyhow, here's how I did it in 12 and I'm sure it works this way in 11 as well. 10 and before have different instructions but I'm sure they are pretty easy to find.

SOLVED: The actual track presets have to be in subfolders under the "Track Presets" folder. If they are in the root, they don't show up. So, for anyone looking for the quick and dirty steps for this for PT12 (and likely 11 too):

2. Create your track preset sessions, select the tracks you want to have as part of the preset and Export them as a session to the folder you just created. HOWEVER, you need to put them in logical subfolders like maybe 2Bus, Vox, Cue, etc.....whatever.
3. Once saved, go to explorer or whatever it's called in Mac-land and change the file suffix from .PTX to .PTXT making it a template.
4. Now when you use the new track dialog, you'll see your subfolders listed under the track type drop-down and you can select any of your self-created presets from there.

You can save a step when you do the export and that's to change the file extension right there; been doing that on my iMac. Do note that you may have to restart PT to see the new presets.

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Trasher in my signature will create the main folder along with quite a few categorically layer out sub folders.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-05-2015, 03:37 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Good stuff.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Or use the AppleScript I wrote, thats Mac only of course. ;-)
Old 10-16-2015, 10:06 AM

Default Re: PT 12 Track Presets hack (for window7 PT12HD+)

I figured out the PC/MAC difference. Create the "Track Presets" folder in the: User/Your Username/Documents/Pro Tools/ Track Presets. Not in the Programs(x86)/Avid/ Pro Tools folder.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:19 AM

Would like to see this implemented by Avid please!!

Pls put this up front for all to use w/o work arounds
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:32 AM

Default Re: PT 12 Track Presets

This was possible in PT11 as well. I wonder why it isn't an official feature yet. Especially as everyone at Avid must know we're using it already.

12.4 perhaps? Not holding my breath as I've been using this for ages.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
This was possible in PT11 as well. I wonder why it isn't an official feature yet. Especially as everyone at Avid must know we're using it already.

12.4 perhaps? Not holding my breath as I've been using this for ages.
You're kidding - PT12 doesn't officially have this? You still have to do the workaround?

QAPLA!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:08 PM

I know it's ludicrous.... proTools 10 was the first version that I believe we could do this track preset with
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.