Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Mac OS X

Old 11-01-2014, 05:35 PM

Default PT Express - No Sound

Hello everyone.
I'm still new to all this but I bought the Avid Fast Track Solo that included Pro Tools Express and I have my headphones plugged into the jack but I can't hear any sounds. Will someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? This whole situation has been very discouraging.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:50 PM

Default Re: PT Express - No Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly72 View Post
Hello everyone.
I'm still new to all this but I bought the Avid Fast Track Solo that included Pro Tools Express and I have my headphones plugged into the jack but I can't hear any sounds. Will someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? This whole situation has been very discouraging.
What you are most likely doing wrong is not reading/following the documentation. THAT WAS EASY!

You cannot random-walk you way though this easily, you need to read/understand the documentation. Make sure you have followed all install and systems optimization instructions (almost none of those are obvious to a new user) Follow the documentation and basic beginner examples your documentation provides, especially if that includes tutorials or sample sessions, they are a great way to get started.

A good starting point besides those examples and sample sessions is to create a new Pro Tools session, create a **stereo** **audio** (not instrument, not MIDI, etc.) track (Track>New) and then drag and drop your favorite MP3 or similar audio file onto that track. Get basic play-back working before trying anything more complex like recording audio or playing with virtual instruments.

There are also many great beginner videos on You Tube.

Once you are following the instruction in the documentation and if you then don't understand something or it is not working then come back and ask specific questions, referring to what exact instructions/documentation you are following and provide into on your system etc. as asked for under the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this and every other DUC Web page.

And example info would include what exact make/model headphone plugged into exactly what jack, a description of what audio content you are trying to hear, what all the Solo knobs are set to, whether waveforms show up in the Pro Tools edit windows or whether the Pro Tools meters move, etc. when you press play. We cannot just guess what the hell it is you have and are trying to do....
Old 11-01-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What you are most likely doing wrong is not reading/following the documentation. THAT WAS EASY!

You cannot random-walk you way though this easily, you need to read/understand the documentation. Make sure you have followed all install and systems optimization instructions (almost none of those are obvious to a new user) Follow the documentation and basic beginner examples your documentation provides, especially if that includes tutorials or sample sessions, they are a great way to get started.

A good starting point besides those examples and sample sessions is to create a new Pro Tools session, create a **stereo** **audio** (not instrument, not MIDI, etc.) track (Track>New) and then drag and drop your favorite MP3 or similar audio file onto that track. Get basic play-back working before trying anything more complex like recording audio or playing with virtual instruments.

There are also many great beginner videos on You Tube.

Once you are following the instruction in the documentation and if you then don't understand something or it is not working then come back and ask specific questions, referring to what exact instructions/documentation you are following and provide into on your system etc. as asked for under the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this and every other DUC Web page.

And example info would include what exact make/model headphone plugged into exactly what jack, a description of what audio content you are trying to hear, what all the Solo knobs are set to, whether waveforms show up in the Pro Tools edit windows or whether the Pro Tools meters move, etc. when you press play. We cannot just guess what the hell it is you have and are trying to do....
Ok first, thanks for being a condescending douche bag. That didn't help anyone.
The only documentation it came with was a quick setup guide that shows you how to connect it the proper way. If it was that easy, I wouldn't be posting in this forum. I know I'm plugging it into the right jack because of the big picture of headphones right next to it. The PT express came bundled with the Fast Track Pro. So there wasn't much in the box as far as detailed documentation. I use a macbook pro with OS 10.9 so I know it's compatible and I'm using Skull Candy headphones. Also, I've searched Youtube for help and there really isn't anything helpful, go ahead, look for yourself and send me a link if you find something. Again, I wouldn't have posted in this forum if I haven't done that already. I've even looked on the website to see if there was a user manual to download. So again, this was my last option, knowing I would get this type of response from people that feel it necessary to put down those in need to make themselves feel important in their own little world. If you don't want to be helpful, then stop trolling through posts for people to belittle.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:28 PM

How about putting your ego back in it's box and actually trying to spend time carefully doing all the things I suggested.

Documentation for Pro Tools products is usually included in the install. I don't know about Express. As a start look under the Digidesign or Avid folder under/Applications.

Here is your most basic install/setup http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...uide_80354.pdf What would be good to hear is you followed those exact instructions.

All the main documentation for Pro Tools v10 family is here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...guide/en419211. You should include the (imposing looking) Pro Tools 10 reference Guide. That is the only place to get lots of detailed information, especially once you have basic stuff working. Express is basically just a crippled version of standard Pro Tools 10. And without an Express specific gettign started guide the Pro Tools 10 Reference Guide is your place to be.

YouTube -- lots of likely useful videos. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=getting+started...%3Ayoutube.com (you can narrow the search to express and see some specific stuff, but your problem is more likely not Express specific).

Here is a curated beginners list... http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...ith-pro-tools/

Again we cannot guess what you are trying to do. Are you trying to hear prerecorded audio in a session? Do you even have any audio in the session at all? Are you trying to track a microphone? keyboard? guitar? To an audio track? Or are you confused and trying to use an Instrument track for audio? How the hell can we guess? I suggested *exactly* what you should try if you don't have a tutorial/demo session. Did you try that?

And again.... and provide info on your system etc. as asked for under the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this and every other DUC Web page.

And example info would include what exact make/model headphone (Skull Candy is a brand, what exact make/model?), a description of what audio content you are trying to hear, what all the Solo knobs are set to, whether waveforms show up in the Pro Tools edit windows or whether the Pro Tools meters move, etc. when you press play. We cannot just guess what the hell it is you have and are trying to do....

Post screenshots of the edit window showing the tracks you are trying to play. Make sure that screen shot clearly shows the IO input and output sectors on the tracks (if you don't understand that ask).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-01-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:36 PM

Do you have the Fast Track Pro or the Solo? You're giving conflicting info.

The Fast Track Pro never worked with Pro Tools Express. Pro Tools Express only works with:
  • Fast Track Solo
    Fast Track Duo
    Mbox (3rd Gen)
    Mbox Mini (3rd Gen)
    Akai EIE Pro
    Akai MAX49
    Akai MPC Renaissance
    Akai MPK88
    Akai MPK61
    Akai MPK49
    M-Audio Axiom AIR 61
    M-Audio Axiom AIR 49
    M-Audio M-Track Quad
    M-Audio M-Track Plus
    M-Audio Vocal Studio Pro
Pro Tools Express is not qualified to run on Mavericks.
Version 10.3.4 is officially qualified and recommended for:

Pro Tools Express systems with Mbox (3rd Gen), Mbox Mini (3rd Gen), Fast Track Solo and Fast Track Duo on Mac OS X 10.7.4, 10.7.5, 10.8, 10.8.2, 10.8.3 or Windows 7 SP1

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control