Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Default Reconforming madness (Halp!)

Guys, I have a head-scratcher in my hands.

I'm trying to edit sound in PAL-land to a picture shot in NTSC-land.

It was recorded to a 788T generating audio timecode to 35mm AatonCode, which was used to sync the dailies. Only the first two tracks were put in these DVCAM tapes.

These dailies were imported Video+Audio into Final Cut. AFAIK the original 788T files were only used for some, very few, shots where the Aatoncode failed to work.

The editor then gave us an OMF.

Q1) It seems no metadata has been put in the FCP or the OMF that relates to the 788T files. Is this correct?

Q2) How does FCP handle Flex files, which should have the AudioTC captured by the telecine? Can the editors load up the Flexes and export an XML that can work with Titan/Conformalizer?
Q2B) The picture is going to be scanned to DI and the scanning house is going to recreate the reels in an Avid - I bet that's to use the Flexes to create a Cut List. Could they export the Video EDL with AudioTC (or AuxTC)?

Q3) If all else fails, we'll have to ask an assistant to create an EDL from the edited video burn-in fields. But this video has been de-pulled and is running at 23.97, while the AudioTC burn-in is at 29.97 - with the result that the AudioTC is missing the dropped image fields and jumps frames. Can this burn-in be used for conforming?

Bonus question: I'm freewheeling from my PAL house sync and my Mojo is receiving Video Ref from my SyncHD (Internal, NTSC) and connected to a multiformat CRT with composite video. I can't see repeated frames or bad de-pulling in the edited video, but playback is a bit jerky.
Does the Mojo do a field-based 23.97 to 29.98 pull-down, or just repeats frames? How do I use Syncheck with this setup?

Thanks in advance.