Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 07-21-2015, 06:03 PM

Default Got Protools 11 from Amazon Warehouse, but has already been activated.

Avid Editor here, still trying understanding the Pro Tools world, as said bought Pro-tools 11 from Amazon Warehouse (sold and fulfilled by Amazon) expecting it to be either a customer return (wrong product selected) or damaged packaging. When I've bought from them in the past the items arrive either just like new or with outer box damage but the contents are perfect.

Anyway I've received PT11 and the box has been opened and I've tried using the activation code to be told by the Avid site it's already registered what hell have I got in store with having the software and iLok recognising me as the genuine owner/user.

I got the package for a good price so don't want to return it, and also as it's Amazon Warehouse they will only have one of these available so will not be able to send me a replacement.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Got Protools 11 from Amazon Warehouse, but has already been activated.

End User Licensing Agreement states opened software can not be returned
Amazon can not sell you what they did and they should have never taken it as a return

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-21-2015, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Got Protools 11 from Amazon Warehouse, but has already been activated.

What is done is done...

I don't really care about the EULA as I now need the software and have paid for it, if I return this I'm back to square one of constantly looking for a good deal on Protools. I do not have the funds to buy PT new so my other option would be ebay and that's a whole world of trouble. It's taken several months of searching to find this one within the budget I have.

I assume the iLok works in the same way as the Avid Media Composer dongle works, can I have the iLok can registered in my name? At what cost?
Old 07-21-2015, 07:03 PM

Amazon did 2 things they shouldn't have done
1) accepted open returned software
2) sold said software to you

in short you got scammed by Amazon selling an illegal copy

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-21-2015, 07:12 PM

What you are offering is not helpful here.

I notice you are a mod but please don't post if you can only offer "return it to Amazon".

I have bought the software, have the iLok in my hand. No one else, I would assume, can use it. I assume I can plug the dongle in and run the software as-is but probably never upgrade it without the relevant title being on my Avid account.

If there is someway of having the ownership transferred to me, I can chat to Amazon about a reimbursement for the title transfer.

The solution you are offering is to return this to Amazon, I am then without the software I desperately need, time and energy is wasted returning a package of paper and plastic for it to end up in a landfill. And I have once again to spend day and night to find a good deal or alternatively turn to file-sharing to get a copy of PT - which would be illegal.

I didn't get scammed by Amazon, don't be so dramatic, a mistake has been made but there has to be someway of righting it now. I have been in similar situations where speaking to the right customer service dept can fix things - at the moment I simply do not understand the way the iLok is linked to accounts as I only have the knowledge of how Media Composer operates which as I understand it is different with PT and the iLok system. Does anyone from Avid lurk here, who can help?
Old 07-21-2015, 07:26 PM

I'm tell you that you that Amazon did something wrong selling you an illegal box

The iLok is not authorized until the software is registered and the person that registered it may not have put the license on the iLok you have in your hand

I have kick this up but anyone that can do anything is off until tomorrow morning Eastern Time

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-21-2015, 07:43 PM

OK I understand from you that according to EULA it's illegal for Amazon to re-sell an open box I get that now.

But if it is registered to this iLOK (I don't have a system in front of me to check it upon at the moment). And the original customer return was for a genuine reason and it's a mistake that it was repackaged for sale if Avid could step in and can work together to help to resolve this for me then it would greatly help and be appreciated. I have all the paperwork for the purchase, can provide pictures of any serial numbers, activation code from the box or iLok.

At this point could it be treated as a private sale and a change of ownership in that regard if it is on this iLok? I'd be willing to pay for a new dongle if that's what is needed. I've been an Avid customer for 10+ years on the Media Composer side - so I have no clue how things work with PT.

I do know of a friend who bought a mojo and a copy of Avid MC 3 many years ago from ebay and although the seller promised they would pay for the change of title, they never did, thankfully Avid stepped in and sorted it out on their end.

As said all I want is to be able to run PT without having to buy a version of the software which is version upon version out of date from ebay - as that's all I can afford.

I'm based in the UK, if that changes anything for support matters.

Is there such a thing as a dongle dumper application for the iLok to see what licenses it holds, as there is with Media composer? Something that I could do tomorrow to find out if the license is on this dongle...
Old 07-21-2015, 08:25 PM

Look people are telling you Amazon is the only hope of fixing this or you are simply SOL! Can't put it any clearer than that!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 07-21-2015, 11:29 PM

These guys are right by the way.

I have a legit version of PT10 and some free plugs you can take off my hands and it will be in your ilok account

Cheap, PM me or email me (my username)@gmail.com
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:53 PM

Thing is, the license is in someone else's account. What you're asking for is that Avid and PACE pull a license from someone else's account and give it to you, then treat it as a transfer of ownership - you understand why they just can't do that, right? Even if the other person was dishonest and somehow managed to return the box (and keep the license), the return is between them and Amazon and the registration was the extent of Avid's involvement.

Contact Amazon. It's the only way for you to fix this, and it should have been the first thing you did.