Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Guitar Center nearly $1bil in Debt...

What Bob said.

They were owned by Bain Capital for a while and Bain is in the (only) business of liquidating assets and closing companies down. The fact that they were able to go private again is amazing.

And yes, a few years ago, they re-strategised to reduce sunken capital in inventory by cutting the turnover by 1/2. Which is a major deal. In essence stores need a sell through in 3 months of their inventory vs 6 months. So inevitably that reduces higher-end goods for lower-priced goods that are more appealing to the "man off the street."

And of course their biggest competitor as a B&M is the internet.

As for remodelling -- the big Hollywood store has been remodelling for quite a while and a real focus is the pro audio market (consoles, listening rooms.) The West LA store put in "education" rooms for teaching instruments and are expanding their equipment rental segment. So I don't know about all their stores but it seems they are trying to diversify and encourage more customers to come into the stores. Might be a winning strategy or they may have already passed the point of recovery.

Last edited by BScout; 03-26-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:47 PM

Seemed on topic
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM

As to the remodeling situation...

Both of the locations that I used to frequent (Denver and Englewood) have had their second remodels in the last few years. Both have made their interior walls at odd angles, such that almost nothing runs parallel or perpendicular to the entry. It's disorienting to the extreme. That, and the fact that they regularly rearrange the floor space. I'm sure that's for the same reason that all retailers do it, to force traffic around the store.

Over the years, I've spend a few bucks at GC. Not much in the past 8 years. I dislike even going through the doors. I also have bought just about everything I need already; coincidentally, I've been cured of my GAS, so there's that....

And all that said, I had been contemplating whether I wanted to (or even should) go to GC to pick up a couple cables this afternoon. My aversion got the best of me. I didn't go.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I remember for years with the GC I wrote about - you could go in there on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and hear a whole bunch of guitarists playing away on various axes.
I don't live in the USA but used to travel to Los Angeles frequently. Of course I'd check out every music shop I could get to. Hearing those 'shredders' all competing with each other making a godawful racket turned me right off going to GC....it was often a truly horrible experience. I found myself seeking out smaller boutique outfits with soundrooms.

As far as the younger generation wanting this or that, trends go round and round. Ultimately there'll always be a place for true talent IMHO.

I believe places like GC have just flooded the market with crap instruments choosing to mainly cater to all the dreamers in the world. Now those dreamers have discovered a new medium.....virtual.

Big music stores will come and go.....all that really matters is the talent, and as such it is they who'll prevail in the end.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-27-2018, 06:42 AM

Guitars and keyboards are two instruments I would never buy online no matter the price. I want to be be able to actually play what I'm thinking of buying. There's enough variation in guitars that you just can't say I'll buy this particular Strat model online - I need to get my hands on it & play. No amp, just fretting and picking. If it fits good to me only then do I plug it in.

Same with keyboards. Not all weighted piano action or semi-weighted actions are the same. A couple of months back I tried the top of the line Korg, Roland and Yamaha synths. All weighted piano action. Plenty of double note hits with the Korg & Roland units; the best of the bunch was the Yamaha Montage. Problem with the Montage was a high-pitched whine on the audio output. No Kurzweils; played several some time back and at the time they had the best (for me) keybed action. Remember that I started with accordion and migrated to piano so I have all that muscle memory & technique down pat.

The upshot of this screed is that in the Trenton NJ area there's almost no brick & mortar store that fulfills my needs/wants. I really don't want to have to go to NYC to shop for my music equipment. Philly ain't much better than my local stores either. The local GC used to be THE place to go but no more.

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
...The upshot of this screed is that in the Trenton NJ area there's almost no brick & mortar store that fulfills my needs/wants. I really don't want to have to go to NYC to shop for my music equipment. Philly ain't much better than my local stores either. The local GC used to be THE place to go but no more.
This sux
Old 03-28-2018, 05:04 AM

The local mom & pop (Russo's) completely dropped their keyboards and don't carry full drum kits anymore though they do have a wide selection of snare drums and drum accessories.

In guitars they're the only ones around who carry & stock Gretsches, decent variety of Fender electrics and precious few Gibsons. They do have a good selection of amps on the sales floor but not much actual stock.

QAPLA!