Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2002, 11:20 PM

Default What\'s the best way for importing 16 bits audio files on 24b session

Hi:
I'll try to make a short story: I'm starting a new project next monday in a TDM for MAC ProTools, with a G4 and 3 888 system, but one of the arrangers have a project studio with PT LE (5.0.1) and Digi001, and he only works with Performer (using the Digi001 as the audio card). I need to record some audio tracks from his Performer arrangement to be finally used in the big PT project. I couldn´t set the OMS Studio setup properly to recognize his SampleCell in his LE system(that's another topic to discuss, but less urgent to me), so I was forced to record the audio files in his Performer sessions (16 bits) and then create a PT session and import those audio files.
I momentarily created 16 bit PT sessions, but I'd like to work the whole project, which is going to be mainly acoustic, in 24 bit sessions. So, my question is:
What's the best possible way for converting these 16 bit audio files into a 24 bit session? I would like to get the best sound quality possible in this converting or importing (or whatever) process.
My original idea was to import the MIDI files in a 24 bit PT session, and then record the audio files I needed the best way I could in this projecy studio, but as I couldn't manage the OMS correctly I was forced to work this way. As usual my deadline is tomorrow. I'd appreciate any advice on this. Thanks,
Alex
[email protected]
Old 03-24-2002, 04:25 AM

Default Re: What\'s the best way for importing 16 bits audio files on 24b session

I’m assuming that the sample rates are 44.1khz in both sessions?

I would just use the "export selected as files" command in the audio bin menu from the temporary 16 bit session you created (choose multi mono SDll 16x24). And import them into your 24 bit session. This would be the fastest and most accurate IMO. Converting "up" to 24 from 16 bits should theoretically be much less damaging to a file than going down. I have never heard an audible difference doing that. Now, sample rate AND bit depth conversion is a whole different story…

Well, you could play them out to analog inputs of a DAT (or to some other recorder that has both digital and analog i/o) in real time from some analog outs of an 888, setting the DAT machine to record at 24 bits. Then digitally transfer the audio back into your 24 bit TDM session from the DAT. That is if you want to stay away from software conversion. This way, you would only be doing a conversion in one direction. That’s just one way to do it but I don’t think that would be at all necessary and would be too time consuming.

Good luck!

dk
Old 03-24-2002, 10:18 AM

Default Re: What\'s the best way for importing 16 bits audio files on 24b session

Thanks, dkrausz:
I was planning to do it that way, but I was looking for some previous expreiences. I liked your phrase:
"I have never heard an audible difference doing that. "
Any comment on the OMS stuff? Thanks again
Alex
Old 03-24-2002, 03:47 PM

I've been uploading .wav 16 bit files into 24 bit SDII ProTools files. The producer swears it sounds better than the original 16 bit files. I'm not sure about better, but he is paying me. . .

JS