Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 PM

Default Mixing console/DAW controller

We all started somewhere and although I'm not new to recording or using pro tools, I am new to Consoles/DAW controllers/Mixers. Used one everyday at the studio i interned at, but that was obviously a professional studio. so...

Goal/What I want: Replace my audio interface with a mixing console that does EVERYTHING my USB interface does, (but with more inputs of course). Record/Headphones, Mic inputs, MIDI, Monitors hooked up. Sounds fine right? Here's the part where I seem to get caught..: I ALSO want it to mix with to REPLACE the mix window in protools. I want to use the actual console/board to write/latch automation, pan L/R, Solo/Mute tracks, and have it used/saved in Pro Tools. Using a keyboard and mouse gets frustrating very quickly. (I know alot of you understand)

Question: Can I find a unit out there that will do all these things for me? OR, although I've been told "you MUST have a DAW controller to Mix, Automate, etc", can I use any USB Mixer/Interface, even if it means additionally getting a certain software, or cables, or drivers, or something? Please be as Detailed and clear as possible because evidently I don't know how this stuff works, that's why Im asking. THANKS A BUNCH! SORRY FOR THE LONG A** THREAD!
P.S.- If i had $10,000 to just toss away for one, I would just hire someone to come out and install a prof. one in my basement lol!

Pro Tools 12.7 (Student/Teacher Card and iLok) (ALL Stock plug ins; Never purchased any. (got Pro tools software through schooling))

Steinburg ur22 MKii (2 audio input; 2 instrument input; MIDI in, MIDI out)

Sterling audio MX5" Monitors (2)[/FONT][/FONT]