Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-1999, 08:50 AM

Default PT 5 LE and OMFI

Hi,

If there's no TC timeline, no spot to TC, what happens when importing a Media Composer session via OMF tool?

If it's imposssible with PT5 LE, will the PT5 (complete post version) still work with AMIII?

thanks
Old 10-04-1999, 10:25 AM

Default Re: PT 5 LE and OMFI

Hey Gugu, I could be wrong but I doubt that there going to be testing PT LE with media composer OMF transfers. I just transfered a short embedded OMF clip into PT LE and it worked. I opened the new PT session and the audio was in place. The origional timestamp was there only in bars and beat or minutes/seconds format.
Old 10-04-1999, 11:18 AM

Ok, I know this LE version is more music oriented, but I really think that the great thing with PT until now was that the biggest and the smallest systems used exactly the same software. I never had a problem in exchanging sessions with different big studios, even if my FX, or MC edited tracks were prepared in my "home" studio (a place where you have a little more time to try things...)

regards
Jean
Old 10-06-1999, 08:09 AM

I agree with you. I've had no problems opening up sessions created with the 001/PTLE on my mix system. I've even synced the 2 systems together (via spdif) and they worked fine. PTLE has some really cool features but in it's essence it's still pro tools. THe automation, the look, the ease of use is the same but the price is different. TDM systems are for the pro's - the 001 is for the guys who wants to get into digital recording and be compatiable with the studio down the street. But the bottom line is that it's priced for a guy who can't afford a TDM system. I applaud digi for remembering that some of the TDM owners of the future have to start with an investment under a $1000 dollars.
Old 10-06-1999, 03:04 PM

You say you agree with me. great!!!
That doesn't tell me why the SMPTE display is not available on the LE version although you can find it in every audio/midi software (cheaper than PT) (but try to edit sounds FX in cubase ). I read a lot of posts of people that seem to have a similar problem. A TDM system isn't indispensable to create and edit FX, music or anything else. You do your sound design work then you transfer it in a big mix studio. I am ok to spend more money to have the full version of the software if I can use it with my AMIII card (or the 001). I'm sure Digi should think about a medium solution.

Regards
Jean
Old 10-07-1999, 07:36 AM

Noisefloor I do not mean to imply that a guy with AMIII card is not a pro. But an AMIII card does not offer the options that would be required to compete in a Pro Audio Market. There are some cool things you can do with an AMIII system but if your business requires you to compete with other studios then I guarantee you that advertising that you have a Full featured AMIII card will not get you the top dollar business. Skywalker used some AMIII stations in the process of spotting audio for their movies but they also have some 40-60 full blown 24 bit pro tools systems networked with worldwide access for their editors. If Cubase offers the features you want then buy it. That is how you'll force digi to reconsider their decesions to not add smpte timecode to the timeline.

Once again, if you are doing music productions, the 001 box with PTLE will not only compete with systems in it's price range but will blow most away. I'm looking at a LA-2a and 1176 compressors made for DIGI 001. As well as the moogerfooger and many other RTAS plugins. All real time - automatable - 24 bit pathway. They will sell like crazy.