Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-25-2006, 01:10 PM

Default Recording Audio and Audio Playback

hi, i just got the mbox2, and i am setting it up. i followed all of the instructions properly and have successfully installed pro tools le 6.8.1. however i have two problems.

1) i have an XLR microphone that i plugged into the mbox2. i tried recording something on pro tools (i armed the track, and then pressed record and play), but yet, i am not picking up any signal. i am new to pro tools, so i was wondering if there was something that i had to do to pro tools, so it can pick up signal.

2) my second problem is that i cannot hear the audio playback. as i said, i'm new to pro tools and the mbox2, but should it automatically play through your computer speakers, or do i have to set something up. i tried running RCA audio cables from the mbox2 to my amplifier (i have a logitech x530 5.1 surround sound system) and i am not hearing anything. the only time i CAN hear playback is if i plug my headphones directly into the mbox2.

well, just wondering if you could help me out. hope you all have a good day! oh by the way, my computer is a dell dimension 9100, 3.2 ghz, 1ghz of RAM, and my sound card is sigmatel. hope you can help out.

thanks again.
- scott.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Recording Audio and Audio Playback

Well, I see a couple of problems to start with. Read the manual about using the mix knob as you will be reaching for it a lot. When you say you used the RCA connectors, does your Logitech system have a digital input? The RCA plugs on the Mbox2 are digital input and output and will not work with analog. I highly recommend that you get some powered studio monitors as any computer speaker system has major flaws when it comes to recording music. Even the $279 set of Behringer 2030A's would be a much better match. I suspect that you are trying to interface gear that was not designed to work together. Please don't feel like I am roasting you as I realize this is simply part of the education that we all go thru. Some of us are further along and some are just starting. Protools recording comes with a learning curve and there is no shortcut around it. Read, read, read and then read some more. I also suspect that if you run some TRS cables to a pair of actual studio monitors, all your troubles will be gone(once you learn how and why to use the mix knob). Good luck and spend some free time browsing the DUC as it has been an incredable source of info.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave