Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2015, 01:33 PM

Default Can ANYONE explain HD Subscriptions to me?

I own 11HD. So last December I panicked and bought my lovely $599 "Support Plan" from Avid so I could get whatever updates etc for this year. I have not downloaded or installed 12 yet. A few questions...

1) How much do I need to plan on spending for your software in calendar year 2016, if I need a 12.x bug fix? [dot releases are only available to the subscribing chosen now]

2) Where do I find out how long I have to go on my "subscription"?

3) If you tell me I need to pay $999 per year for HD to get dot releases (for example), and then you go behind our collective backs and totally change your structure to a lower fee, are you giving me a refund?

4) At this point, what exactly is the difference between Vanilla and HD, other than a) price and b) hardware? Getting tired of the blurred lines.

if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. I've been head in sand over this stuff... trying to work and ignore the insanity Avid is propagating. So now I am lost, even after reading their babble. And for the record, I don't need or want their support. Since 97, I've used it once (to replace a bad cable they sent me).
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Can ANYONE explain HD Subscriptions to me?

This will address 1-2 http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Licensing-FAQ

3: This doesn't sound like a question (and if so only answerable by Avid) so I'll leave that one alone

4: Field recorder workflows, advanced automation, support for ICON control surfaces, higher track count, I/O count >32 with (with HD hardware), multiple video tracks, different bundled plug-ins, satellite link, track punch and destructive punch, scrub trim and some other editing options, maybe others can chime in with what else differs
Old 10-02-2015, 02:42 PM

mesa thanks for the link....

So perusing that I gather I am on the hook for $399 per year for x ant of years, as long as I buy it by November. (Now I know why folks are so tweaked.)

One question i forgot to ask was mentioned.... will I lose PT10?

[their text]
Q: Will I have to surrender my old license when I upgrade to Pro Tools 12? Will I lose my Pro Tools 10 license too?
A: The original Upgrade Plans (as well as new/full product purchases) included a Pro Tools 10 license (for 32-bit compatibility) in a bundle along with v11/12, but some upgrades only provide a license for Pro Tools 12 (see the "Info" link next to the price for the Pro Tools Annual Upgrade Plan as an example). Your old license/bundle will need to be surrendered as part of the upgrade, so please check the info/details for the specific upgrade option prior to purchasing
[/end their text]

When I clicked on the link, it gave me a page with a different plan cost, and no mention of PT10.

PLEASE forgive my ignorance on this. And if I seem dumb as a box of rocks, I'm sorry. So when I pay $399 per year to keep my PT12HD "current" in November, do I lose PT10?
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 10-02-2015, 03:00 PM

If you bought in December 2014 aren't you current till March 31st 2016? Check your account. Regardless you are $399 a year either in December 2015 or end of March 2016. If you don't pay - then you will get hit with $999 to get back in.

There are lots of threads about the exact differences between Vanilla and HD. These may matter to you or not.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 10-02-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
So perusing that I gather I am on the hook for $399 per year for x ant of years, as long as I buy it by November.
By December 31st, 2015. But as Propower pointed out, people who bought in before the end of 2014 were offered an additional three months on their support plan, as an incentive for early adoption. Hopefully this is reflected in your current plan.

If you plan to re-enroll in a support plan then I would suggest doing it a couple weeks before the cutoff, because who knows what kind of delay could be involved.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:04 PM

but for the $399, do I lose PT10 then?
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 10-02-2015, 04:06 PM

I upgraded in November 2014 from PT9/10 + CPTK to PT11HD to get the free PT12HD in May and Support until March 2016...but the application manager does not show that I have a Support plan!!! Can't contact support without a System ID with is supposed to be in the Applications Manager and is not.
Contacted my Sweetwater rep and he confirmed with Avid rep that I am covered until March 2016...but the App doesn't indicate that.

In the same boat as you I think.

Also don't know but I think I should be eligible for the plugin bundle offer too...but not sure.

The journey continues...

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:27 PM

Thing is, I don't even care about the plugins. I've owned Eleven since 2007. I have 8 gazillion plugins and use less than half. Like you and others though, I am trying to plan my spending and make sure I get something for my money.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 10-02-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
but for the $399, do I lose PT10 then?
I'm not sure. When I upgraded to "vanilla" PT12 a few months ago, I surrendered my 10/11 bundle license and received a 10/11/12 bundle license. I have not yet upgraded my PT11 HD license yet.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:06 AM

Its simple
But
does not make sense

Im in a similar boat.. and dont feel the upgrades will be worth 600$
esp, since non HD is perhaps cheaper to maintain, over the long haul,... if ..there is a long haul

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]