Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 02-07-2018, 05:27 PM

Default Mbox 2 Family - Win10

Hi, I am having audio issues with three different interfaces on 4 different machines. Tried different usb / fw ports, reinstalling drivers etc

Issue 1 - Audio cuts out randomly - I can see the meters moving, and windows "thinks" audio is playing, but there is no output from the interface. SOMETIMES "fixed" by disabling and re-enabling the driver, but doesn't always work. SOMETIMES I have to physically unplug it, but that doesn't always work either.

Issue 2 - Audio stops working, with no movement on the meters, causing any video to stop as well. I do the typical restart, toggle driver etc but not sure what actually causes it to start working again.

Issue 3 - Interface seems to reset to 16 bit 48 KHz, and I can only sometimes change it to 16 bit 44.1 KHz, and can NEVER change it to 24 bit or a higher sample rate than 48KHz.

These issues happen on all 3 devices. Sometimes they work fine, but most of the time they don't.

Any idea what is causing it and how to permanently fix it?

Thanks

Win 10 Pro
CPU - i7-7700k @ 5GHz
Cooling - Noctua NH-U12S
MOBO - Asus Z270H
RAM - Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 3200MHz

Mbox 2 Mini, Mbox 2 and Mbox 2 Pro
Old 02-07-2018, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Family - Win10

2 things jump out right off the bat
#1-with Windows machines, go into Sound>Properties and make sure that Windows is NOT using the interface as its default playback device(leave the interface for Pro Tools, only)
#2-any time something is not "right", the first thing I would try would be to run everything at stock speeds(right now, you are overclocked to 5GHz and basic troubleshooting calls for eliminating as many variables as possible).

After that, review and verify all Windows tweaks, including disabling Power Management on all USB ports (but my money is on the sound.properties setting)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-23-2018, 09:43 PM

I had the transport moving and no sound, transport stuck and sound playing, etc.

Intermittent troubles usually means hardware is starting to happen. Do you have a firewire card in your PC? That was the cause of my troubles..

Mike
Old 02-25-2018, 06:20 AM

Avid won't admit it but their drivers are screwed up with Windows 10!!! That is not an opinion but a fact.. The majority is having issues with their drivers with Windows 10.

Things you say is happening actually happens with my C400, the sample rate gets locked at 44.1 and it cannot be changed or the USB portion shuts off even though in the mixer panel of the C400 it shows to be connected. So I have to unplug and plug the USB back in. I have ALL my USB set to not shut down withing windows from the Device Manager.

I think they, Avid, purposely is doing an "apple" thing by purposely rigging their drivers to for users to "upgrade" their sound card. I guess its time to purchase a Focusrite. I've been using M-Audio / Avid stuff for years but its time to move on.

Trust me I am a geek when it comes to PCs and Mac, i.e Windows and OS X, and this is a driver issue not Windows because it only happens with the C400, no other USB does this.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:26 AM

As has been pointed out in this thread and another earlier one, have you made sure that in the "Sounds" section of Control Panel the C400 is NOT selected for Windows record and playback. It has nothing to do with removing the internal soundcard in the Bios. Are your USB ports set to NOT sleep?
How does it benefit Avid for you to go and buy a soundcard from another manufacturer?
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
Avid won't admit it but their drivers are screwed up with Windows 10!!! That is not an opinion but a fact.. The majority is having issues with their drivers with Windows 10.

Things you say is happening actually happens with my C400, the sample rate gets locked at 44.1 and it cannot be changed or the USB portion shuts off even though in the mixer panel of the C400 it shows to be connected. So I have to unplug and plug the USB back in. I have ALL my USB set to not shut down withing windows from the Device Manager.

I think they, Avid, purposely is doing an "apple" thing by purposely rigging their drivers to for users to "upgrade" their sound card. I guess its time to purchase a Focusrite. I've been using M-Audio / Avid stuff for years but its time to move on.

Trust me I am a geek when it comes to PCs and Mac, i.e Windows and OS X, and this is a driver issue not Windows because it only happens with the C400, no other USB does this.
1-FWIW, I have 2 Windows 10 machines with Mbox 2 Pro that work flawlessly
2-Windows users NEED to set Windows to NOT use the interface as its default playback device.
3-I hate M-Audio hardware

Old 06-16-2018, 03:10 AM

Hi guys,

I am running Intel(R)Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @2.60Ghz; Windows 10 Pro; 64-bit.

My Mbox 2 won't show up in Playback Engine options on Pro Tools.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver countless times and even the whole Pro Tools. The Mbox lights up and can be used for playback with my system i.e. music, movies etc and the sound works through the mbox. However, when I start Pro Tools there is no option under the SETUP > PLAYBACK ENGINE for the mbox. There is only "Windows Audio"and "Realteck ASIO". The realteck asio is my pc's sound and if I try choose Windows audio device I get an AAE error -6117. Can't find anything about this anywhere!!!

HELP ME IT'S BEEN A WHOLE WEEK
Old 06-16-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaheenPat View Post
Hi guys,

I am running Intel(R)Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @2.60Ghz; Windows 10 Pro; 64-bit.

My Mbox 2 won't show up in Playback Engine options on Pro Tools.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver countless times and even the whole Pro Tools. The Mbox lights up and can be used for playback with my system i.e. music, movies etc and the sound works through the mbox. However, when I start Pro Tools there is no option under the SETUP > PLAYBACK ENGINE for the mbox. There is only "Windows Audio"and "Realteck ASIO". The realteck asio is my pc's sound and if I try choose Windows audio device I get an AAE error -6117. Can't find anything about this anywhere!!!

HELP ME IT'S BEEN A WHOLE WEEK
As I already said, you should go into Control Panel>sound>Properties and choose the onboard(Realtek) device as the "Default Playback Device" for Windows. That SHOULD free up the Mbox for Pro Tools. Then, hold down the "n" key while opening Pro tools to go directly to the "audio engine" setup page. If this is still not working, maybe check to see if you downloaded the correct windows driver for the Mbox(the Mbox Pro 2 uses a different driver than the Mbox 2)

Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As I already said, you should go into Control Panel>sound>Properties and choose the onboard(Realtek) device as the "Default Playback Device" for Windows. That SHOULD free up the Mbox for Pro Tools. Then, hold down the "n" key while opening Pro tools to go directly to the "audio engine" setup page. If this is still not working, maybe check to see if you downloaded the correct windows driver for the Mbox(the Mbox Pro 2 uses a different driver than the Mbox 2)

I just bought a new HP Spectre running Intel Core i7, Windows 10.
I subscribed for PT 12 2018.7.0 , downloaded and installed. I plugged in my MBox 2 , downloaded ASIO4ALL driver.
MBox says No driver in my devices control panel. Playback engine gives me no options at all it just has the ASIO already there.
I can NOT find any drivers for Windows 10 or for PT 12 ??

Please tell me I didn't just spend 2300 on a laptop for nothing!!
MBOX2

Old 08-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedgirl View Post
I just bought a new HP Spectre running Intel Core i7, Windows 10.
I subscribed for PT 12 2018.7.0 , downloaded and installed. I plugged in my MBox 2 , downloaded ASIO4ALL driver.
MBox says No driver in my devices control panel. Playback engine gives me no options at all it just has the ASIO already there.
I can NOT find any drivers for Windows 10 or for PT 12 ??

Please tell me I didn't just spend 2300 on a laptop for nothing!!
Don't use ASIO4ALL. Use the Mbox 2 driver. I have an Mbox 2 Pro(the firewire version) working great on Windows 10.