Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 10-25-2016, 01:00 PM

Default s3lx operation questions

a few operational questions in one thread, hopefully all can be answered easily:

1a. I have been told you can record your Master L-R mix via Direct Out on the patch bay. True or False?
1b. If true, can you also record your LR mix while in Virtual soundcheck back into PT? Or do you have to put your LR mixes down to USB stick when you do this?

2. I have 1 x doubled channel that I use for a particular effect in a song, but since this mirrored channel is sharing a pre-amp I can't seem to find a way to record this extra channel back to PT even if using Direct Out, am I missing something? Should I be able to do this?

3. Assuming I take the engine, control surface and laptop onto the tourbus, what is my patch config if I want to work on the mixes without the Stage Racks connected? Assuming I can do this how easy is it to switch back and forth?

4. Is there a way to flip from one PI to another when they are on the same channel/group/etc? Older venue software allowed me to at least move through the plug in grid window using the up/down/l/r arrows, but this feature doesn't work on s3lx. Any idea how to accomplish this now?

5. Is there a comprehensive list anywhere which PIs will share with each other on AAX DSP chips? I have seen partial lists created by people on this user group but nothing that is fully comprehensive.

6. Has anyone figured a way to make an aux send into a fader without using Fader Flip? I want to put an aux send fader onto my User preset next to my VCA channels, this might be impossible but thought I would at least ask...

Thanks for replies to ANY of the above.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:57 PM

Default Re: s3lx operation questions

1a - true. Just patch it. I normally patch it to 63-64.
1b - I would guess it would still be active, but haven't tried it.
2 - you need to patch it to an unused PT input. I'm not sure if you will get the fx on the recording or not. But when in virtual sound check, you'll get audio back there anyway.
3 - very easy. It's just a switch on the config->system plane.
4 - haven't found it. Let me know if you find a solution
5 - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0
6 - I know you could set Aux masters in the user layer, but a single send? I don't think you can. Is it a delay send or something? You can use the In-switch next to the encoders to switch on and off without flipping, but..

Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

6. Has anyone figured a way to make an aux send into a fader without using Fader Flip? I want to put an aux send fader onto my User preset next to my VCA channels, this might be impossible but thought I would at least ask...

Thanks for replies to ANY of the above.
If you are using it for example a vocal delay send,if you have free channels,you could assign a channel for just sending to the delay and assign the channel fader to your user layout.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:18 AM

1: A&B: Yes, you can record the LR while doing viritual soundcheck

2: As said, you need to patch it to another input or BUS

3: i use a snapshot to switch the needed Chanells between protools and Input, that way I can choose that on a per channel basis

4: ??

5: Follow the link provided by HLD

6: as Rockpolice said, you can try with a spare Chanel or vca
Old 10-26-2016, 06:08 PM

1a. I will try this next time.
1b. I have tried to record LR using VSc and I get no signal. It makes some sense because the directional source of the audio is computer-->engine in this case. How does one set up the source audio to loop back into the computer when the Avid engine is working this way (receiving audio from computer vs passing it TO the computer)?
2. When you patch a mirrored channel like this the HA input source is the same as the original channel, so when you say to assign a different PT input what do you mean exactly?
3. interesting, I will try this
4. this feature is an odd one to go missing, and a bit frustrating... will keep looking
5. the link was the 'partial' list I mentioned, I guess I am looking for a more comprehensive one that completes the list in the link provided by HLD. I have recently had a bit of back and forth from the Flux developers and they told me some of their PIs are compatible with McDSP, some with Avid, some only with other Flux PIs. They very kindly sent me a list of all their known compatibilities but it is far from a complete picture. Its an odd thing to me that this isn't something companies (or Avid) don't share easily, since it makes the world of difference if you buy x PI and can't use it in your workflow because it eats up a whole DSP chip, whereas if you were to get xy and z because they are known to work together you would be both a happier customer and have maximised your abilities to put a mix together.
6. I will investigate the idea of using another (mirrored) fader on the same input source for driving into delay, its an interesting idea and I hope it will work.

thx
Old 10-27-2016, 12:38 AM

2: you are not allowed to have an active HA input on that channel, because then it is as described already in use for pro tools.
Try this:
Patch the first/main of the two mirrored channels as input for the "trim" plugin, Patch the output of that plugin to the second Chanel. In the PT direct out grid you will see that the corresponding dot isn't automatically patched anymore and now you can take the direct out to PT
Old 10-27-2016, 12:40 AM

1b: maybe because you are in Virtual Soundcheck mode? Try as said in 3:
Only put the needed Chanel's on PT-Input, than you can assign the LR to a pair of free AVB/PT direct outs.