Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2003, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Survey:Which Timestretcher do you prefer ????

If there was a Speed demo for OSX i'd tell you what I thought, but since there isn't i can't. They recommend you to buy it and send it back (30 day money back gaurantee) if you don't like it. That doesn't work for me.

I can only tell you that for music editing PnT has always been good for me, and the 2.2 version is a big improvement over 2.0 (I never had 2.1). For voice the comp/exp needs are usually not as great, and for sfx you can generally get away with a lot more.
As someone else said the hardest thing is always big bottom synths, they get very weirded out.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the scientific results of your test unless it's pure sine waves you are wanting to stretch.
I've yet to have a need for that.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:37 AM

Hi Jim,

I tested the two on a PT 5.0 LE by a friend of mine because they only had HD versions to demo.
So I took the older versions PnT 2.0 and speed 1.04.
And its not only pure sinewaves I tested but real music.
I've paid special attention to the most sensitive and critical material like a pianoconcerto, a drumsolo, very lowfrequency stuff like bassguitars , vocals( solo and choir)and yes also synths.
According to my criteria, listed above somewhere in this topic, speed was better in stretching pianoconcerto's ( less chorussing) better in preserving the attacks in the drumsolo and also less lofreq.distortion. Shifting lofreq stuff is equal to PnT.
I asked the digiworld for their opinions because I wanted to be shure of my choice
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Obviously we all use these plugs in different ways and we all have different qualitystandards.
For my job's the digi TCE doesn't do a decent job and serato and speed were the only serious candidates.
PnT is a very good tool and has a clear and friendly userinterface ( the picture i mean). Speed has a very simple interface ( I miss the capabillity to zoom waveforms) but sounds better on most of the stuff I work on. AND.... if I make use of such a tool I don't want anybody to hear that I did because of certain sideeffects [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
At last: I don't want to talk anyone into Speed but it's worth comparing! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2003, 09:12 AM

In my humble opinion and I don't want to drive you crazy, but Serato's Pitch n Time is better. I compared them last year with a vocal track and SPEED introduced a low frequency rumble artifact to the track that I didn't like. Pitch n Time didn't have this artifact, it introduced a more "robotic" "digitized" feel that in todays music with all the delay and effects is less noticeable than a muddy low freq noise. I always use PnT, I've forgetten all about SPEED since then, just my 2c. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2003, 06:07 PM

Time Machine from LOGIC Platinum is by far better then either Serrato or Speed.... I had to do some drastic vocal time expanding and Pitch n Time flanged out my vocals while Time Machine managed to slow it down were it sounded good enough to tweak out the stutter like sounds from slowing it down...I have to say...Time Machine....
I make beats - Love that line
Old 04-23-2003, 11:21 AM

I stoped using Serato when HD came out as they do not support 96K (I am not sure if Serato has even updated to 96k yet) But you would think for the price of Serato the support would be better. I have got excellent customer support from Wave Mechanics and poor support from Serato.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:50 AM

(I am not sure if Serato has even updated to 96k yet)

Hey Roberts,

There is a Hi Res version of PnT available to download at www.serato.com.
I know nothing about the supportpolicies of serato but I know Serato is not worth the 300 USD's more.
I went Wavemechanics
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]