Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Problem with Firewire 410 and Mac Pro

I have a Mac Pro (don't hit me—I was just lucky enough to get my order in right away! ) , and I'm trying to use my Firewire 410 with it. However, although the System Profiler sees it, the M-Audio control panel doesn't recognize it. (I'm using the current driver for Intel machines, v 1.7.2.) Is there anyone out there who has been able to get the 410 to work with a Mac Pro, and if so, do you have any suggestions as to what I might do to make it work?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Problem with Firewire 410 and Mac Pro

Interesting,
Are you using pt M-Powered 7.1.1?
I'am curious to see if the mac pro can use this version...

Cheers,
Old 08-10-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Interesting,
Are you using pt M-Powered 7.1.1?
I'am curious to see if the mac pro can use this version...

Well, yes and no: yes, I'm trying to use it, but no, it won't launch because it doesn't recognize my hardware.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:35 PM

hey when you get it all configured can you keep us upated on how the MacPro works with latency in pro tools , if any at all, cause i have a g5 2.3 dual core and i still have latency and cant get a descent smooth recording without haveing to move over tracks after recording, my singer and drummer cant use the click cause recording with the original track its always off,my buffer is set at 64 and still i have latency, im wondering to sell my g5 and buy a macpro if there isnt any noticable latency due to the intel chips, i have freinds with dells that dont have the latency that ihave. please keep us posted..
Old 08-14-2006, 10:12 AM

JMelby-
Just curious. An avid engineer for a long time, I recently went from Digital Performer, and a massive hardware/outboard rig, to a small compact Macbook w/1GB Ram running Protools M-Powered and an M-Audio 410. Just played around with it for a couple hours, and so far everything seems to work great. I've spent 8 years with friends in the ear telling me to switch to PTools. I guess my question for you is that it seems you have the same pretty much setup as I do...What kind of performance should I be expecting? Track Count/Plug-in Count would be greatly appreciated.

I was up to 24 Tracks with 4-5 plugins per channel with DP3 and an old G3 Blue and White.
Will the MacBook/ProTools Keep up with this, blow it away, or do I need to get a desktop to run full intensive projects?

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Ant
Old 08-14-2006, 11:30 AM

It works fine for me (at least it did until I got my Mac Pro!). I've been running 8 output channels. Not much in the way of plug-ins; I use it primarily for the multi-channel output. Of course, I've been using a desktop (MDD 1.25 GHz dual), not a laptop, so YMMV.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:19 PM

Uh oh....I was hoping I was just doing something stupid, but it sounds like this might be a real problem; I'm having the same difficulty.

I'm also working on a new Mac Pro (default config) with a FW410. Downloaded the latest M-Audio installer (which, notably, is only approved for use up through OS 10.4.6, but the Mac Pro ships with 10.4.7 installed). I ran the uninstall, then the install, restarting in between. I'm greeted at boot-up with a flashing power light, and the m-audio control panel doesn't think anything's attached.

I've tried rebooting with all other FW devices unplugged. No luck. Bugger.

Any suggestions from the crowd? I'm beginning to fear that we'll have to wait until the next iteration of the driver.
--BB
Old 08-17-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I have a Mac Pro (don't hit me—I was just lucky enough to get my order in right away! ) , and I'm trying to use my Firewire 410 with it. However, although the System Profiler sees it, the M-Audio control panel doesn't recognize it. (I'm using the current driver for Intel machines, v 1.7.2.) Is there anyone out there who has been able to get the 410 to work with a Mac Pro, and if so, do you have any suggestions as to what I might do to make it work?
I have exactly the same problem -- the Mac Pro won't recognize the Firewire 410. I had a support incident opened, but all M-Audio has told me so far is to reinstall the driver and fix the permissions, but that's useless. It's really frustrating,
I can't get it to work either.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I have exactly the same problem -- the Mac Pro won't recognize the Firewire 410. I had a support incident opened, but all M-Audio has told me so far is to reinstall the driver and fix the permissions, but that's useless. It's really frustrating,
I can't get it to work either.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:20 AM

I have the same problem but with the Firewire Audiophile card.

Latest drivers from M-Audio (which do mention 10.4.6 support). The interface just flashes. Control panel gives me instructions to shutdown, plug in and reboot.

The following is printed in the console:

Aug 19 22:13:42 ... kextd[259]: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/MAudioFireWireJaguar.kext/Contents/MacOS/MAudioFireWireJaguar
Aug 19 22:13:42 ... kextd[259]: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/MAudioFireWireJaguar.kext