Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-21-2003, 01:17 PM

Default mic\'ing a banjo?

Sounds easier than it is as I am discovering. Maybe its that the banjo is not a true quality instrument, or the player (me [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) is not the best in the world.
I don't have an array of expensive mics. I tried my octava, and settled on the good old 58 pointing directly at where my picks meet the strings. The room is carpeted and dead. The sound is acceptable, but I feel like it can/should be better.
Any advise?
Old 01-21-2003, 01:27 PM

Default Re: mic\'ing a banjo?

A ribbon mic, if you can find one - I personally usually reach for a Beyer M160. Mic placement, well, where you have it can sometimes work... remember, a lot of the tone comes from the resonator. Try over the head, behind the picking hand, half way between the bridge and end furthest away from the neck (back by the strap), about 6 - 12" off the head, with the mic angled 45 degrees towards the picking hand.

It really depends on the banjo and the player...

I've had a lot of banjo recording experience - I even did an entire banjo album once where there was usually at least 4 different banjos playing on any one particular song. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Re: mic\'ing a banjo?

very cool! Thanks Phil. i will try to see if I can come up with a ribbon mic. I have been wanting one anyway.
I no longer own a banjo, although it was the first instrument I learned to play. This banjo that I am trying to play is a brand i have never heard of. It sounds ok, but doesnt have quite the guts an old Gibson would have.
i wish I would have never sold mine. Those suckers are expensive.
I will give your ideas a try. Thanks for the help!!