Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM

Default No future HD upgrades for CPTK special offer

I felt this was important enough to have its own thread.

Someone on Gearslutz made reference to this, and I just watched the playback of the Q&A session with Tom Graham, Rich Holmes, and Tony Carridi.

To me there is no vagueness about this at all.

Tony makes it very clear that this CPTK and PT10 upgrade offer to HD11 is a one time deal. You won't be able to upgrade from HD11 to HD12, or HD13, or whatever, and continue getting the full software features without buying an HD system. He states that going forward, if you want the full features, you will need to buy an HD system.

You can watch it here, starting at about 10:25 in the video:

http://www.protoolshdx.de/Dokumente/Home.html

My interpretation of this is that this is meant to placate CPTK owners during this transition of the CPTK being discontinued.

So this might be a sensible purchase if you plan on staying with PT11 for a few years, but not if you tend to upgrade to each new version.

I just wanted to point that out so people know what they're getting and not getting down the road.

If anyone from Avid would like to elaborate or correct this, feel free.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 PM

Default Re: No future HD upgrades for CPTK special offer

Nah, I think (hope!) it's just the guys being put on the spot there & not getting the correct phraseology. I'm pretty sure once you trade in your CPTK license you have the full HD software & can upgrade it as per normal Avid HD software upgrades.

They stated there's only going to be two products, PT11 & PT11HD. If this was a special non-upgradable PT11HD they'd have said so specifically you would have thought; it being a third version of the software in effect.

Whether or not they re-introduce the HD software being tethered to Avid hardware only is another matter entirely though.

TBH this whole issue surrounding the CPTK & where it leaves it's users is a complete clusterf***. They should have had all this info out & available yesterday when they dropped the bomb.

Edit: The 'one time deal' reference to me indicates that this is the one & only time the HD software will be available without buying hardware.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 PM

Right, but I think we disagree on the rest.
This is the only time you can buy the HD software on its own, and that's only if you are a CPTK owner.

But I don't think from here on out you can upgrade that standalone software to future HD software after this. I think he made that very clear.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
This is the only time you can buy the HD software on its own, and that's only if you are a CPTK owner.

But I don't think from here on out you can upgrade that standalone software to future HD software after this. I think he made that very clear.
Well we'll just have to wait until we get clarification (on a lot of points) from an official source.

One of us is going to be wrong & nothing personal but I really, really hope it's you!

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:

I think you're incorrect.

I can see why you're interpreting it that way, but I'm positive they are referring to NEW buyers. Once you have the HD software, you can upgrade to any new version of HD software.

I'm pretty sure I've read a few times that all they need to see is HD software registered to your iLok or AVID account in order to get the upgrades. I don't believe you need to supply any hardware serials.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I felt this was important enough to have its own thread.

Someone on Gearslutz made reference to this, and I just watched the playback of the Q&A session with Tom Graham, Rich Holmes, and Tony Carridi.

To me there is no vagueness about this at all.

Tony makes it very clear that this CPTK and PT10 upgrade offer to HD11 is a one time deal. You won't be able to upgrade from HD11 to HD12, or HD13, or whatever, and continue getting the full software features without buying an HD system. He states that going forward, if you want the full features, you will need to buy an HD system.

You can watch it here, starting at about 10:25 in the video:

http://www.protoolshdx.de/Dokumente/Home.html

My interpretation of this is that this is meant to placate CPTK owners during this transition of the CPTK being discontinued.

So this might be a sensible purchase if you plan on staying with PT11 for a few years, but not if you tend to upgrade to each new version.

I just wanted to point that out so people know what they're getting and not getting down the road.

If anyone from Avid would like to elaborate or correct this, feel free.
What I understood from this is that you won't be able to buy the CPTK anymore and get the HD functionalities through it but still only have a vanilla PT license. ALL NEW users will be faced with either Vanilla or hardware. They offer you to get a HD license for 999 if you meet certain criterias. Once you have the license it's the full license and there's no difference between that license to the HD license you get from Hardware. The upgrading of the software is bound to the license, not the gear itself. My understanding anyways.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
The upgrading of the software is bound to the license, not the gear itself. My understanding anyways.
My understanding, too. Hopefully we're right.

Chris
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 AM

I read Tonys statement as being a one time offer in that its only available to CPTK users and will be the only time that there will be away to get a standalone PT HD software license legitimately. That any new users will be required to buy HD hardware.

Obviously there are points that need do be verified.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 AM

So is it that the features in HD are dependent on the hardware going forward or does Avid just not have the confidence that the HD hardware is good enough to compete on it's own.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 AM

not have the confidence that the HD hardware is good enough to compete on it's own

It's clearly this but we can hardly blame them at this point. They're almost bankrupt.