Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Quickeys X3 compatibility with PT?

I've been holding off on updating to Quickeys X3, but I'm ready to do it now. I'd like to hear some reports of success or problems though before I make the move. TIA
Old 02-14-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Quickeys X3 compatibility with PT?

I've been using without any problems. I would hate to be without it.

STeve
Old 02-14-2005, 03:21 PM

Just watch out using the 'option' key for any quick keys you make that deal with menu items that use warnings like "are you sure you want too...". Option force-bypasses these warnings in PT and most of MacOS functions.

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 02-15-2005, 11:43 PM

Thanks guys, for the info.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:15 AM

Hi Guys!

I am on a Mirror door G4
Mix + / OSX / Last revision of PT (for Mix +)

I am running a macro hot key "palette" (70 assignable keys) - it is a serial device, but I am feeding it via a USB - serial converter cable...

I have to stay with this Mad max "retro" rig - I've no budget to toss it out / upgrade..

The macro palette (a Gallery Mission Control, it houses a QWERTY keyboard, industrial size track ball, 70 key macro key pad and an unemployed Axis joystick panner - it all sits in an empty fader pack bucket in the middle of my 16 fader ProControl http://www.librarystudio.com/ click the studio tour book and press GO to have a look)

So Quick Keys...

Is it pretty easy to program?

This macro palette USED to be programmable via software called "Key Quencher" but that never made it up to OSX - and not being very tech minded in computer land myself, it was depressing to see my purchase semi defeat almost all the Mac tech's I have had through my studio... at various upgrade stages over the last 6 years, it lost some of it's functionality, bit by bit... never to return.....

Now, the recent move (finally) to OSX has really dumped it's functionality!... ALL it's keys need to be TOTALLY re programmed...

Help me get my 'idiot pad' back working again!

I am to old to learn keyboard shortcuts!!!

Any pitfalls / tip & tricks to getting it working?

Thanks in advance!

www.gearslutz.com
Old 07-27-2005, 04:36 AM

I love QuicKeys! And it’s getting better all the time.

When first switching to OSX, QK actually took a step back in terms of functionality. This was due in part to Apple not having implemented all the APIs that existed in OS9. However, with each new (major) version of OSX (Jaguar, Panther) QK has regained most, if not all of the lost ground. It’ll be interesting to see what new capabilities can be exploited by QK under Tiger.

I like QK’s new X3 interface. I find it more intuitive than ever before. I’m no QK expert, but I’m getting more out of it all the time. I am convinced that this is due in large measure to the application’s becoming more user-friendly.

I’ve recently discovered the beauty of multiple key strokes in creating subsets of commands that fit my way of thinking/working. For example, to launch any Apple-made application or utility, I now type my “Generic Launch Apple” shortcut, Control+i (which I chose because of the company’s penchant for using product names like ‘iTunes’, etc), and the follow that with another letter that I assigned to the specific apps. In the case of iTunes, that would be “t” for me. The beauty is that one can implement these multiple strokes so that QK patiently waits for the second key.

Shortcuts can be limited so as to only work while a specific app is open and in the foreground.

In PT, I implemented the “double keystroke” technique to follow the application’s menus as they appear on the menu bar. For example, “[modifier]+s” means I’m about to invoke something from the “Setups” menu. Typing “h” brings up the “Hardware Setup” window.

And so forth.

One great new feature, introduced with X3, is the ability to share shortcuts among multiple users, across a network. Program once, use everywhere. Pretty darn slick.

Did I mention I love QK?

I hope this helps.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 07-27-2005, 05:43 AM

Is QuickKeys 3 running under Tiger?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Any pitfalls / tip & tricks to getting it working?
I mostly use keystorkes and menu selections. I change some keystrokes I don't like to ones I do. I make menu selections that don't have built-in keystrokes. And best of all make sequences that have combinations of keystrokes and menus ( for instance you could have a keystroke that initiates many steps such as separate, tab, shift-tab, cut, option-tab, paste).

A tip for sequences in ProTools you may need to program pauses (0.1seconds usually works for me) if the sequence is too fast for your system/PTs to accomodate.

One thing I stay away from is screen clicks that rely on position on the screen . . . it only works if you never change the position of windows, which never works for me.

Quote:
Is QuickKeys 3 running under Tiger?
Yes
Old 07-27-2005, 03:30 PM

One thing I miss from KeyQuencer is the ability to save multiple clipboards. I've just ordered Quickkeys (it should be here in a week or so). Does anyone know if they've added that ability yet?

"I bent my wookie"
Old 07-29-2005, 05:39 AM

I've been using quickeys for a few years now and love it's work
I'm having trouble getting the menu clicker to work eg i want to hit cntrl-opt-apple-s to initiate soundreplacer from the audiosuite menu.
Any hot tips?