Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 05-17-2018, 09:32 PM

Default Enable automation of a parameter for multiple instances of the same plugin.

Hi, is there a way to enable automation of the same parameter on multiple instances of the same plugin on different tracks. I’m trying to use the Trim plugin as the last insert of several tracks and enable the gain parameter for all instances at the same time instead of going track by track.

I’m aware there is a setting under preferences to auto enable ALL parameters, but I’d rather not resort to it as it becomes fairly aluggish on large sessions.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2018, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Enable automation of a parameter for multiple instances of the same plugin.

You’re best bet is to remove the plug in for now. Go to Prefernces and check the box “Plug-in Controls Default to Auto Enable. Re-insert the plugin on all the tracks at the same time. (Select tracks, Hold down Option+Shift select an insert on just one of the selected tracks). You can remove the same insert on multiple tracks the same way as long as it’s in the same slot on all tracks. The insert will populate on all selected tracks with the parameters enabled for automation. Group the tracks, making sure to checkbox insert Controls and Bypass on the Globals pane and now you can adjust the trim gain on all the tracks at the same by just adjusting on one of the grouped tracks.

An easier way of doing this would be to create an aux track. Then Bus all the tracks you want to trim to this Aux. Insert whatever plugins you want on the Aux and automate away. Of course this is only if you want to trim all tracks equaliy.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Enable automation of a parameter for multiple instances of the same plugin.

Thanks, but not quite what I am trying to achieve, I'm trying to enable gain on automation instead of using volume automation, so I can free up my fader. I'm I can certainly do it the way you suggested but was hoping there was a way to do it without having to enable all parameters. Routing to an AUX won't do in this case.

Last edited by ReverbHead; 05-17-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:38 AM

If you copy the plugin, the enabled automation of the plugin will copy too. So if in track one you put the trim plugin with gain enabled, then copy that down to everywhere else.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
If you copy the plugin, the enabled automation of the plugin will copy too. So if in track one you put the trim plugin with gain enabled, then copy that down to everywhere else.
Yep, that works. Good call.

Hold down Option(Mac) and drag the plug to another track.

FYI. Enabling all parameters or just one really doesnt impact the system resources all that much. You never have to touch any of the other parameters in Trim to change the, if you dont want you. Its not like there are that many.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:04 AM

Great! Option snd dragging definitely works better!