Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-27-2015, 07:17 AM

Default Avid wants access to my iLok account??

So I bought the native upgrade to give it a whirl before I decide whether to upgrade my HD license and part way through the registration process Avid asked for my iLok username (nothing out of the ordinary there) then my iLok password....?
At first I didn't think twice, then I read the description and they want to be able to manage my licenses in my iLok account???
I guess I kind of understand with the new licensing model but then I think back to the fiasco last year where iLok assets started disappearing and it made me stop and re-read the web page. Basically they say they won't remove anything but with all the stuff going on and the miscommunication lately it really has me thinking. And I didn't feel that if I declined I would be able to complete my registration.
Anyone else come across that screen when they were registering their upgrade?

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Avid wants access to my iLok account??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
So I bought the native upgrade to give it a whirl before I decide whether to upgrade my HD license and part way through the registration process Avid asked for my iLok username (nothing out of the ordinary there) then my iLok password....?
At first I didn't think twice, then I read the description and they want to be able to manage my licenses in my iLok account???
I guess I kind of understand with the new licensing model but then I think back to the fiasco last year where iLok assets started disappearing and it made me stop and re-read the web page. Basically they say they won't remove anything but with all the stuff going on and the miscommunication lately it really has me thinking. And I didn't feel that if I declined I would be able to complete my registration.
Anyone else come across that screen when they were registering their upgrade?
It seems odd that Avid would ask for a user's password to a third party system that is designed to keep their and other's software secure.

That's basic software security 101: don't give out your passwords.

Don't do it. Regardless of whether you trust Avid or not, it's not a safe security practice.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 AM

Yep i seen it. I dont recall them asking for my password though. Its just an option to link the accounts, which by the way i already thought that was instigated and set up as that is how my licenses appear in my ilok account. I got a bit nervous thinking something had gone wrong. Anyway i linked the Avid/ilok accounts for safe measure but as soon as i,m happy with the way things are i may just un-link them. I would like someone from Avid to chime in and give some clarity on this…. for example how does this new linking differ from the previous way of depositing ilok licenses. The previous way must have dealt with some sort of linking as i never had to do anything.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:41 AM

My guess is 2 reasons - in app plug-in purchases plus subscription and upgrades. That way if you buy/rent a plug-in from the Avid store they can send it direct to you ilok account - it auto deposits to your ilok account and key.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
Yep i seen it. I dont recall them asking for my password though. Its just an option to link the accounts, which by the way i already thought that was instigated and set up as that is how my licenses appear in my ilok account. I got a bit nervous thinking something had gone wrong. Anyway i linked the Avid/ilok accounts for safe measure but as soon as i,m happy with the way things are i may just un-link them. I would like someone from Avid to chime in and give some clarity on this…. for example how does this new linking differ from the previous way of depositing ilok licenses. The previous way must have dealt with some sort of linking as i never had to do anything.
Yes, it would be nice to have someone from Avid chime in to clarify this.
I will have to check later to see if I can 'un-link' Avid from my iLok account.
If they already have an agreement with iLok to be able to manage our accounts then why would they request my iLok password?? The more I think about it the more I am not liking this idea. I have a couple HD assets in my account and I'll be irate if Avid goes in and starts messing with those.
I also found it interesting that they give you iLok assets for PT 10, 11, 12 and PT 2016. Doesn't look like there will be a PT13. I'd guess that after PT 2016 there will be a PT 2017, etc.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchwood Studios View Post
My guess is 2 reasons - in app plug-in purchases plus subscription and upgrades. That way if you buy/rent a plug-in from the Avid store they can send it direct to you ilok account - it auto deposits to your ilok account and key.
That makes sense also, but if they have our iLok username already, and they are able to deposit the license without a password why would they need the password then?

Unless they will be 'changing' the existing iLok license that they just deposited maybe?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:00 AM

It really needs an explanation as to how the previous system differs from this newer one. I am sure i did not give out my password or was asked for it (you got me Para now though, so i need to check)
My confusion comes from the fact that they did not seem to have my ilok account name and were asking me to confirm and link my ilok account. I just assumed it was a revamp of the site/account settings.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
It really needs an explanation as to how the previous system differs from this newer one. I am sure i did not give out my password or was asked for it (you got me Para now though, so i need to check)
My confusion comes from the fact that they did not seem to have my ilok account name and were asking me to confirm and link my ilok account. I just assumed it was a revamp of the site/account settings.
Sorry, I didn't want to get people worked up but it just struck me as strange so I figured instead of using my ASC call on day one I'd try here first.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:11 AM

A big reason why Avid moved to iLok account linking is to help prevent mis-deposited licenses. I too prefer to manually manage my licenses and iLoks, and while I have never mis-deposited a license, many others have. So account verification and linking will save Avid from having to provide service in fixing deposit errors, and it will save customers from being in limbo up until they get their deposit error fixed.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 AM

I would never give out my iLok password whoever asks for it.

AVID can access your account if they need to, without your password.
They can easily deposit/delete/surrender licenses if needed without your pass.

That should be good enough ...