Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-12-2017, 07:13 AM

Default -9171 Errors

I've read through all the old threads on this, but a lot seem "out of date" as they were mostly on PT11 or older, and older MAC OS'.

To the point- anyone have current/applicable workarounds/solutions to this problem?

I am running:

-2013 iMac with 32GB Ram
-PT 12.7 HD (with an HDX Card in a Sonnet Chassis)
-AVID HD i/o 16x16
-AVID HD i/0 (digital, for my Hear Back system)
-UAD Quad Satellite and Octo Satellite (both TBolt)
-External SATA drives in an OWC Drive Dock (both 7200rpms)
-Plugs from, UAD, FFilt L, Slate VTM,VBC, Sound Radix Auto Align and Mutomatic, NI Komplete 11 Bundle, Output Sound Exhale, Soundtoys 5 Bundle, Valhalla Room/Vintage Verb

Got this rig in January 2017. For a few months all was totally kosher, it was amazing. Then, a couple months ago I started getting the dreaded -9171. It may or may not have been around the time I bought a couple of the plugs mentioned above. I'm not naming them because I don't know for sure if they are causing the issues.

When I have buffer at 512 or 256 makes no diff. When Disk Cache is set to 10gb I get the -9171. When I lower the disk cache, the -9171 goes away, but then I get "Pro Tools is running low on memory" error message.

Here's what I've done so far to diagnose:

-run Disk Utility on all drives. All are kosher.
-Went through all the Protools "configuring your MAC" recommends
-Trashed Prefs (yes, I downloaded the application mentioned in previous thrds)
-Run "problem" session, and others, off of internal SSD to check if it was drive issue, still got -9171
-Removed all 3rd party plugs from Plugins folder, and it seemed to work okay. Hard to tell as the -9171 is intermittent. Sometimes it doesn't happen for 5 minutes and then sometimes it happens three times in a 2 minute period.
-Started adding plugs back in to Plugins folder per manufacturer. UAD seemed okay. Soundtoys seemed okay. (i was quitting and restarting PT every time in between obviously). Added in SLATE and got a -9171. Added in NI and took out SLATE- got -9171.
-That's where I'm at currently.

Worked on this for 4 hours last night as I finally decided that the -9171 problem was not going to go away on it's own, and although I am mostly composing by myself I can deal with it. Yesterday though, I had a client and it was a bit embarrasing.

Any and all ideas welcome. Please keep the "working fine here's" to yourself if you would be so kind. :)
Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 AM

Default Re: -9171 Errors

I have noticed on my PC that if I record with the disk cache other than default I get these errors at the time the buffer hits the value in the disk cache setting, (eg 3GB).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-12-2017, 04:50 PM

UPDATE:

If anyone was interested, I've been working on my rig for the last 8 hrs straight without a single -9171 error. The only plugin NOT in my plugs folder (spent hours last night pulling em out one at a time) is Slate VBC and VTM.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck to you all.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:49 AM

I just got a rash of these stoppng my rig after just few minutes of recording which is unusual. I’m on 2018.12.
I’m frequently recording full bands with 25-40 tracks at 96k with no problem but this happened while recording just two tracks at 48k/24 bit with a session that had one reference track, a couple of auxes for cue and nothing but a couple aax dsp plugins. There was Nothing on the auxes or master. CPU went crazy even though its a 12 core w 64 g ram. The ram cache was at 20g. That seems Way bigger than the session and the buffer was at 512. I am running my system (high sierra) from an owc ascelsior card and the audio session was on an internal 2t SSD samsung that gets checked with disk warrior and drive genius once a month. I have many of the same pieces of hardware and software as you describe includng the UAD octo pci-e. I will pull the slate plugins and see if there is any connection. I will also experiment with the disk cache size. There is an avid recommended trouble shooting bulletin for 9171 errors as well, I will check all their settings as well. Best, Dan
NomadicWax.com