Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-12-2018, 01:21 PM

Default Mono stereo vocal problems

Im sure this is an easy fix but i want to understand whats going on too. Im more of a producer type and i make all my beats logic and my friend is more of a vocal guy and he likes to use pro tools. So when i get on protools it is kind of foreign to me. But weve been working on this track for a while now and werent having any problems but just now we tried to lay down some vocals but when we went to record we were only hearing the vocal come from one headphone. The track is set as a stereo track but still the vocal is only being picked up in one of the two meters. The more ive been reading the more ive learned about the differences between mono and stereo but always more to learn. I guess my problem is that i wanna record these vocals in stereo but im only hearing them from one side lol. Thanks guys hope yall can help me out

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2018, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Mono stereo vocal problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajoiner_ View Post
Im sure this is an easy fix but i want to understand whats going on too. Im more of a producer type and i make all my beats logic and my friend is more of a vocal guy and he likes to use pro tools. So when i get on protools it is kind of foreign to me. But weve been working on this track for a while now and werent having any problems but just now we tried to lay down some vocals but when we went to record we were only hearing the vocal come from one headphone. The track is set as a stereo track but still the vocal is only being picked up in one of the two meters. The more ive been reading the more ive learned about the differences between mono and stereo but always more to learn. I guess my problem is that i wanna record these vocals in stereo but im only hearing them from one side lol. Thanks guys hope yall can help me out

You really want to record vocals in mono. Stereo makes no sense at all. To record in stereo you need to have a source for the right channel and a source for the left. A single mic being recorded won't do that when recording to a stereo track. Record to a mono track and unless you pan things you'll get audio on both the left & right.

QAPLA!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You really want to record vocals in mono. Stereo makes no sense at all. To record in stereo you need to have a source for the right channel and a source for the left. A single mic being recorded won't do that when recording to a stereo track. Record to a mono track and unless you pan things you'll get audio on both the left & right.
Sorry for the late response. The more i read the more im finding this out but i was recording in stero just fine. Opening a stereo track and hearing it back out of both headphones and both meters but now its not.. i realize this isnt the popular thing to do but i just want to find out whats wrong thanks

Old 04-13-2018, 05:33 PM

Let me put it in terms everybody can easily understand. Singers tipically have only one mouth thus they only need one of microphone; stereo tracks have two channels, if you record one microphone in one stereo track you'll be wasting one channel and creating additional problems like double processing and audio coming from only one side. Vocals are recorded in mono tracks unless you are using a stereo microphone system.

Keep in mind that all tracks (mono or stereo) have stereo outputs so if you want a mono track to sound stereo you just have to insert a stereo effect of your liking. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:20 PM

Its really down to the source. Sound from a single spot(the mouth, in this case) gets recorded to a single(mono) track. There are lots of ways to create a stereo-sounding vocal after its tracked. Examples:
#1-track it again an another mono track(also called doubling or stacking)
#2-use an aux send to a stereo AUX track, insert an effect plugin like a stereo delay(with different delay times on left and right), a pitch-shift plugin(set left to -9 cents and right to +9 cents) or any time-based effect plugin(watch some youtube videos on processing vocal effects in a DAW)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave