Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Default Re: I Got Pro Tools 7.3 to recognize 2.7GB of memory- Here\'s how

Sweet.

Nice work. It only took a few mintues tops (including reboot). My plugin count and virtual instruments jumped nicely. Rock solid.

Thanks so much!

J

For the 'fraidy cats...

I'm rocking:
P5W DH Deluxe / Intel 6700 Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / Windows XP Pro SP2 / PT 7.4cs2 / 002r

MacBook Pro (15-inch,2018)
2.9 Ghz Intel Core i9 CPU
32 GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
1TB SSD System Drive
Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 PM

Default Re: I Got Pro Tools 7.3 to recognize 2.7GB of memory- Here\'s

Mike, the /noexecute=optin enables a thing called Physical Address Extension or PAE. It has to be turned on so the program can recognize more than 2GB. In your BIOS you can enable the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) which automatically enables the PAE. You're right about Pro Tools crashing if DEP is on. There is a setting in System Properties to fix this. Under System Properties / Advanced / Performance Options you'll se a tab for Data Execution Prevention. It should be set to 'on only for essential Windows programs'. It's usually set to that by default, just something to look out for.

Man I totally sound like a geek. Why the hell do I even know this stuff? I should be making music, not programing Windows dammit...

Can't wait for 64 bit so we can leave this nonsense behind...(and pull our hair out with new, even bigger nonsense)
Old 01-28-2008, 08:05 PM

I have a question? Is it okay to delete the compiler folder and liberies after the .exe is patched? At least on my computer the program installed but there is no entry in the Add/Remove Programs page.

Question number 2...once the .exe file is patched can I copy and replace the file in another Protools system? Running the same version of PT of course

I suspect the answer is yes on both counts but let me know if Im wrong

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 AM

I tried the above to get my pro tools to recognize more memory (i have Win Xp pro a quad core 6600 with 4gb motherboard Asus P5B and PT only gets 1.7gb not using it all). It works but it creates me a big problem that I mentioned (without knowing that it was due to that) in a post that I opened some time ago: it messes up the graphic and colours of many plugins (i.e. smack and many many others). When I returned to the original boot menu and protools.exe everything went ok
Unless someone can help me out with this , unfortunately ,I'd rather stay with the original setup even if I can't capitalise at all my 4gb memory and it's a real pity
Ufostraker
Old 02-02-2008, 11:43 PM

Yeah, I'm having the same trouble with Pro Tools and the graphics. This is especially true for my wrapped vst plugins...It doesn't show the GUI anymore once I'm on the /3gb switch. Now I don't know if I'm doing this right or not, but how can I tell if the ProToolsLE.exe file was patched correctly?
Old 02-08-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I have a question? Is it okay to delete the compiler folder and liberies after the .exe is patched? At least on my computer the program installed but there is no entry in the Add/Remove Programs page.

Question number 2...once the .exe file is patched can I copy and replace the file in another Protools system? Running the same version of PT of course

I suspect the answer is yes on both counts but let me know if Im wrong

1. Move em to a new folder and see if it works...probably does
2. Maybe, I'd rather just do the patch again
Old 02-08-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I tried the above to get my pro tools to recognize more memory (i have Win Xp pro a quad core 6600 with 4gb motherboard Asus P5B and PT only gets 1.7gb not using it all). It works but it creates me a big problem that I mentioned (without knowing that it was due to that) in a post that I opened some time ago: it messes up the graphic and colours of many plugins (i.e. smack and many many others). When I returned to the original boot menu and protools.exe everything went ok
Unless someone can help me out with this , unfortunately ,I'd rather stay with the original setup even if I can't capitalise at all my 4gb memory and it's a real pity
Ufostraker
Have you guys tried updating your graphics card drivers. Also try lowering the graphics card acceleration a notch or two and see what happens. My card is a silent 8600GT with 256 RAM and I don't have any problems...do you guys have 512?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 PM

Well,

I got half way through this hack and I don't see a Pro Tools.exe file in my folder. There's a ton of files, but none of the ones that say "Pro Tools" have a .exe at the end. I'm on PTHD. I don't know if that matters.
Would someone care to explain to me how to locate my .exe file when I don't see it in my Pro Tools folder?

thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Well,

I got half way through this hack and I don't see a Pro Tools.exe file in my folder. There's a ton of files, but none of the ones that say "Pro Tools" have a .exe at the end. I'm on PTHD. I don't know if that matters.
Would someone care to explain to me how to locate my .exe file when I don't see it in my Pro Tools folder?

thanks.
do you have your file extensions turned on in XP???

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 04-23-2008, 12:34 AM

Can someone (Digi maybe???) program a script and make en executable file which does the trick?