Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-05-2018, 12:56 AM

Default Digitest says my HD cards are working fine. So why aren't they working?

Hi, so I'm having a strange issue where Digitest reports no failures on my 6 HD cards in a PCI Magma Expansion Chassis. However, Pro Tools 10 HD crashes my entire computer if I try to enable anything beyond 1 DSP in the Playback Engine.

Upon restart of PT (after the entire computer crashes and I have to manually reboot) there is still never any change in the number of voices or DSP I have access to.

I've tried all kinds of different voice/DSP options and my entire computer will crash every time.

I know that my expansion chassis is transmitting information because the interface operates properly. It's just the additional cards that seem to not be accessible.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Thank you, love this forum btw. Didn't realize how many other people are still using the same legacy stuff I am.

System Information: Mac OSX 10.8.5 | 32GB RAM | 8 Processors | Quad-Core Intel Xeon | Digidesign 192 | Pro Tools HD 10

Last edited by tpcalm; 12-05-2018 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Adding System Information
Old 12-05-2018, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Digitest says my HD cards are working fine. So why aren't they working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcalm View Post
Hi, so I'm having a strange issue where Digitest reports no failures on my 6 HD cards in a PCI Magma Expansion Chassis. However, Pro Tools 10 HD crashes my entire computer if I try to enable anything beyond 1 DSP in the Playback Engine.

Upon restart of PT (after the entire computer crashes and I have to manually reboot) there is still never any change in the number of voices or DSP I have access to.

I've tried all kinds of different voice/DSP options and my entire computer will crash every time.

I know that my expansion chassis is transmitting information because the interface operates properly. It's just the additional cards that seem to not be accessible.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Thank you, love this forum btw. Didn't realize how many other people are still using the same legacy stuff I am.

System Information: Mac OSX 10.8.5 | 32GB RAM | 8 Processors | Quad-Core Intel Xeon | Digidesign 192 | Pro Tools HD 10

Hi,

Start with just the core card in the chassis and test with that!

Then introduce one process card and test with that. AND also test with different flexi cables that join the cards together in the chassis.

then introduce more cards etc. and see how far you get before the issue arises.

Digitest works through the PCI/PCIe sockets as i understand, so doesn't test the flexi cables!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Digitest says my HD cards are working fine. So why aren't they working?

Chris, great idea! I'm gonna give it a shot!
Mac OSX 10.8.5 | 32GB RAM | 8 Processors | Quad-Core Intel Xeon | Magma P7R43x Expansion Chassis | (6x) HD Cards | (3x) Digidesign 192's | Pro Tools 10 HD | Pro Control w/ Edit Pack & Fader Pack | Custom KK Audio Desk
Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 AM

Just for info I had a similar problem with my HD6/Magma PE6R4 on a 2008 8-core Mac Pro. I ended up putting my core card at the other end of the chassis than recommended, then Pro Tools wanted the Omni plugged into the 1st Accel card (where the core card originally was). It ain't what's expected, but it's what worked finally.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 PM

An LED is a Light Emitting Diode and a diode allows a voltage to pass in only one direction, so the broken diode may complete a necessary part of the circuit needed for proper operation of the card. I would see if I could replace or have the diode replaced and possibly return the new card. If not able to return it I would sell one or the other on eBay to recoup at least a part of what you spent.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

Old 02-13-2019, 03:24 PM

I’m overseas at the moment and my son is upgrading my 2008 2.8 GHz 8-core Mac Pro. He’s installing a pair of 3.2 GHz CPUs, a new GTX 680 video card, SSD boot drive and a pair of 1 Tb hard drives. After your experience I told him to CAREFULLY remove and replace that Magma card. LOL!
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

Old 02-15-2019, 05:57 PM

UPDATE: In a fit of rage, I completely uninstalled PT. After realizing that was a stupid thing to do, I reinstalled PT and some-****ing-how my chassis and cards are all recognized and test successfully in Digitest! Thankfully, I am back to the original problem I was having in my first post: Computer still crashes when trying to enable anything more than 1 DSP in PT! Yet when I run Digitest, it says all my cards come back successful!

Chris, I think you might be right in testing the cards one at a time. Gahhhhh. I should have tried this the first time but I was convinced the problem was somewhere else. I am doing this tomorrow. Hopefully it's a flex cable like you suggested or a bad card.
Mac OSX 10.8.5 | 32GB RAM | 8 Processors | Quad-Core Intel Xeon | Magma P7R43x Expansion Chassis | (6x) HD Cards | (3x) Digidesign 192's | Pro Tools 10 HD | Pro Control w/ Edit Pack & Fader Pack | Custom KK Audio Desk

Last edited by tpcalm; 02-16-2019 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Edit for Clarity
Old 02-15-2019, 09:35 PM

I have two PCI-X cards for sale
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:34 AM

I am having same problem with only 1 dsp working...

PT10HD will crash or freeze when I add more dsp and/or voices to the playback engine, I will restart after the freeze and PT will auto go back to 1 dsp.

My chassis is the 13 slot chassis, does not show that it is avid approved but the 6 slot Magma is...which I will buy from you if available...

In addition to the 1 dsp issue...My computer will only show a core card and 2 accel cards, if I have a 4th card in the expansion chassis it will say a tdm cable isn't plugged in and i tried numerous tdm cables..I am convinced it is due to the wrong and unapproved chassis model. Let us know if you figured this out last year