Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-24-2016, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Pops from ADC question/issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
NAMM Update: FabFilter only had a local rep and not someone from the company at the show today. I discussed the issue with him and he promised me to let FabFilter know about the issue.
Thanks for that!

I had contacted FF earlier and they know about it. They fully understand the danger and they said they would take out any latency changing parameters from automation functionality.

What's confusing with FF plugins (not only the De-Esser) is that you can automate just about every setting including global GUi settings like the analyzer type and the side chain audition so when you listen to your de-esser side-chain to adjust your settings the plugin will write that to an automation lane. This often goes unnoticed when you have PT set to "plugins default to all parameters enabled".

So every time you open an instance of a FF plugin you have to go in and manually remove any things that are simply helpers too set the plugin from being automated.

I haven't seen the plugin go into write unintentionally but I have often automated parameters like audition trigger which doesn't make sense at all.

I have asked them to remove any parameters like that from the automation functionality. IMO, it's pointless to automate the audition trigger or the resolution of the analyzer in the pro-Q2.

In the de-esser the look-ahead value, on/off, oversampling and wide and split band setting will change the latency and can cause your entire session to click and pop. Similar settings exist in their other plugins. Mainly the EQ type setting and oversampling settings.

I think the pro-MB has at least 10 or more parameters that are totally pointless for automation (analyzer settings, phase type, oversampling, lookahead, pre/post/sc analyzer, analyzer resolution, speed, tilt etc. etc. etc.)

The annoyance is that you have find and de-select them every time you put one in your project.

Frank.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
FabFilter have responded saying that they will look into making latency changing parameters non-automate-able in the future.

Frank.

Having beta tested for some other devs, this issue was discovered in beta and the solution was exactly as fabfilter has decided. Controls that change the delay compensation time like over sampling or look ahead were removed from the automatable parameters.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-24-2016, 09:44 AM

Or plug ins could have a maximum delay option where you can automate everything and the plug in is always in it's max delay setting.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-24-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Or plug ins could have a maximum delay option where you can automate everything and the plug in is always in it's max delay setting.

Which would require a developer doing a lot of work to guarantee seamless transitioning for parameters that have absolutely no useful need for being automatable.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-24-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Which would require a developer doing a lot of work to guarantee seamless transitioning for parameters that have absolutely no useful need for being automatable.
To be fair there are a ton of de-essers out there that allow you to switch and automate between split and wide-band mode without changing the latency and causing clicks and pops in the entire session.

This isn't possible with the PRO-DS.

And the Nugen ISL has a lookahead setting that doesn't change the overall latency.

Just to name a few examples.

hm...
Old 02-11-2016, 08:33 AM

Thanks Frank (:

I experienced this issue with Izotope's Alloy 2 some time ago while mixing a documentary with alloy on nearly all the tracks in the session...
I also found out that the problem was related to the plug-in but never checked the delay comp values. Izo support was no big help in this case - the said it was due to the complexity of the plug-in...
So I ended up with a "save-as" and started from scratch with the 7 band EQ and the dyn3 de-esser.

Just re-opened the original session and took a look at the delay times - same issue - clicks are related to the delay changes...
With Alloy the values change even if you just toggle bypass on/off on the Plug in modules (EQ/DeEsser etc).

So it's not a FabFilter issue but a general one

Matthias