Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Best way to tranfer everything to a new computer

OK, let me preface this by saying, although not technically a post question, I feel like the level of expertise in this particualr forum is a notch above the typical PT user and I consider this my home so here goes.

I'm going to be "upgrading" from my dual 1.25 G4 to a dual 2.5 G5, and was hoping for as little downtime as possible, so which do you feel would be the way to go? Boot my G4 in Target mode and use Migration Assistant to transfer everything, or boot the G5 in Target mode and clone my current system drive to the future system drive.

Does anyone have any tips or traps to stay away from? I've been running my trusty G4 for a few years now and would like to keep things as smooth as possible. In addition to running Soundminer, I have about 40-50 gigs of custom SFX/foley that I just use Itunes to search and preview in and was a lot of work to create, so I would LOVE it if one of these 2 options was feasable.

OS X 10.4.8 running PT 7.3.1
Old 05-21-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Best way to tranfer everything to a new computer

Migration assistant rocks
Old 05-21-2007, 02:17 PM

RayJB, so you have done it in the way I'm planning to? Tranferring my PT setup to a new computer?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Migration Assistant should work for everything except any challenge response plug-in authorizations
you may also need to download some updated drivers for the G5 (PACE I-Lok driver being my first thought)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-21-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Migration Assistant should work for everything except any challenge response plug-in authorizations
you may also need to download some updated drivers for the G5 (PACE I-Lok driver being my first thought)
and the Apple Pro applications like Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro. the installer embeds things in secret places on the computer that have to do with the system. these things DO NOT get transferred in a migration. you have to install them from scratch.

i found this out the hard way and confirmed it with an Apple Tech.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 05-21-2007, 05:32 PM

I'm in a similar situation and was considering Carbon Copy Cloner to accomplish the System HD xfer. Has anyone tried that?

Serge
Old 05-21-2007, 05:39 PM

Super Duper is really good, too. It allows you to easily make a bootable clone of your system drive.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:39 PM

There is this wonderful (& free) program called SuperDuper, which copies ALL the information on your drive, including any and all authorizations. After using the program, the new drive will boot automatically and act exactly as your old drive. I would assume this would be a smooth transition for your G4 & G5 machines. As long as the new one is not an Intel.........

Eirk The Norwegian.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 AM

Finally got a G5 and am now trying to transfer all software and authorizations from my G4. PT runs fine and all Ilok authorized plugs are OK. However, my Waves Platinum challenge-response TDM plug-in suite authorizations and one stand-alone spectrum analyzer app challenge-response authorization are not recognized on the G5 system drive.

I've tried several ways to transfer: creating a bootable backup with Carbon Copy Cloner, then with SuperDuper, creating a read-only disk image of the G4 HD and using Carbon Copy Cloner to restore that disk image at block level to the new hard drive, without any luck. Any suggestions other than contacting Waves and potentially having to re-purchase authorizations I already own?

I'm even considering just taking my G4 HD and installing it in the G5 if it's possible.

Serge
Old 01-10-2008, 10:59 AM

Personally, I would just go from scratch on any pro apps. Things like email settings and bookmarks are oner thing but the complex
apps should be just done with a fresh install. You can keep the G4 running and install everything onto the G5. It doesn't take more than a few hours. Just make a checklist of all the things you need to install. saving an hour here will cost you down the road when trying to figure out some small buried file that's corrupoted somewhere in the depths of the system.