Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-21-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Waves tranfer question...

After meandering through Waves bizarre and tangled mess of a website, I figured I'd just come to the experts....

I own Znoise, but want to transfer it to my other studio. Does anyone have experience with transferring Waves stuff? If it's anything like authorizing their stuff, it's probably a nightmare. But, they finally put out a plug-in I think is worth a squirt, so I want to be able to use it on both machines. I'd gladly pay the fee to swap it back and forth a couple of times. Does Waves allow that?

Just curious if anyone has bought/sold or used Waves stuff on multiple machines. Thanks!

Responses appreciated... e-mails great, too. thenukes@yahoo.com
Old 04-21-2006, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Waves tranfer question...

Hmm... after some searching, it LOOKS like there is a $150 charge for transferring waves plug-ins? Maybe that's the bundles?

Waves sucks.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:30 PM

Why not simply put the auth on its own iLok and bring it with you? You are talking about taking an asset you own to more than one studio, yes? You will only use it on one machine at a time, yes? No problem. Bring your iLok with you. Waves can help you move your iLok assets to its own dongle. Call or email them. This is EXACTLY why iLok is a better technology than disk auths. You own it. Its use should not be limited to only one machine, but only the one machine that you're working on. Put it on a dongle. No problem.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:25 PM

So, let's say I had basically the same plug-ins installed on the other machine, (call it studio 1) I could simply plug and play the iLok in studio 2? I've never tried it, but I thought iLok had protection against that?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:18 PM

iLok auths whatever machine it is connected to. if it is connected to studio A, then studio A plugs will work. If it is connected to studio B, then studio B plugs will work.

You can not have 2 copies of the same plug running at the same time.

If your goal is to have an iLok that follows you -- with your tools authed on it, then this is not a problem. SIMPLY contact Waves and tell them what you want to do. You will SIMPLY move the auth to a new ilok.

Remember, you can have multiple iLoks, so if you only have one copy of a specific tool, keep it on its own iLok.

Is this what you are going for?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:14 PM

Thanks...

I've never done anything outside of one ilok, one machine... so it's all new to me. I swore there
was some reason you couldn't just take your ilok from computer to computer, but maybe I'm off base.

Basically, I want to be able to use the plug-ins from facility 1 at my own facility. (2) Most of the plug-ins
are the same. Some aren't, so I'm assuming that those will just not authorize.

So, basically... if I understand you right, I can install the Waves stuff on both machines, and just take the
iLok back and forth, depending on where I'm working? You mentioned a different ilok. Does it have to be
on a separate one, or could I use the one on which it is currently authorized? I assume I'd have to re-authorize it
for my machine.

That just sounds way too simple, knowing Waves.

So, for the sake of simplicity/clairty...

Machine 1 has (for instance): Waves Gold, Znoise, Focusrite D2/D3, Maxim and the Digirack stuff....

Machine 2 doesn't have the Waves stuff, so I could just install it...

So, would I be able to simply bring the ilok to studio 2 from studio 1 and plug it in? I'm guessing there's a process...

thanks for the help.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:25 PM

Oh, and as a side note...

I have noticed a few threads going around asking about noise reduction without many answers. So, a quick review on Znoise...

It's a major upgrade from X-noise. I've read a few posts saying that people didn't think so, but I have no idea how.
It's not night and day, but... it's, let's say... dusk and day.

I'm not sure what they've done to the technology, but it's definitely improved. Noise is drastically cut down without destroying the high end/transients, etc. The underwater effect is all but gone. The best thing about it is the graphic EQ curve that allows you to select a spectrum to highlight. I do TV work featuring a lot of live events, so it's a constant battle against airplanes, low end hum, room noise, not to mention just plain crappy recordings. I set up a pre-set the first day I got it, and have used the same one ever since. I'm still surprised every time I use it. A lot of times I'll go in just looking to clean out some lower end stuff, and somehow the top seems cleaner, too. It's really been a life-saver for me. I have X-hum/X-noise at studio "2"... so I get to A/B these on a daily basis. I normally have to combine X-hum and X-noise to get about 60% of the quality result I get from Z-noise.

One other little perk... it works well on already processed regions. The way I work has me processing a lot of single regions. (Some need it, some don't.) Sometimes I'll have to Z-noise it, the EQ it... and there are still rarely any offensive artifacts. I've even Z-noised stuff that I X-noised AND X-hummed AND EQ'd, and had it come out useable.

So, there's my two cents. As a disclaimer, let me state that I think most Waves products are garbage and over-priced, so don't think I'm running a commercial here. Just trying to give a little back to a board that has helped me so much... and I do think it's a big help for anyone who deals with noisy signals on a regular basis.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:26 PM

It's as easy as Jeremy says.
If you want all the stuff on the same iLok (as it is already?) then just leave it. Install all the same plugins in studio 2 and you've got two sets of plugs for the price of one, the only downside being that only one can be active at a time. Just take the iLok with you from room to room.

Thousands of roving engineers do this all the time to take their favorite plugins from project to project in studios all over the place.
It's one of the best things about the iLok.

[Not an inviation to list the worst things! <g>]
Old 04-21-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
It's as easy as Jeremy says.
If you want all the stuff on the same iLok (as it is already?) then just leave it. Install all the same plugins in studio 2 and you've got two sets of plugs for the price of one, the only downside being that only one can be active at a time. Just take the iLok with you from room to room.

Thousands of roving engineers do this all the time to take their favorite plugins from project to project in studios all over the place.
It's one of the best things about the iLok.

[Not an inviation to list the worst things! <g>]
Wow, funny I just never knew that... though I would have never had any reason to, until now.

It's a perfect situation, in my case... because I'm the only engineer on both machines. When I'm using one, the other is always dark.
Besides forgetting to bring the key with me, sounds like a great solution.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2006, 05:08 AM

Quote:
So, would I be able to simply bring the ilok to studio 2 from studio 1 and plug it in?
Absolutely!

Your scenario is one of the great benefits of iLok. The only "negative" is if someone launches PT in studio 2, without your ilok present, they will get "please register this plug/please insert iLok" warning for the non-authorized plugs. If the iLok is not present, simply click cancel...

The reason I suggested a 2nd iLok for znoise is that it is a very specialized tool, and you could keep your primary rig fully operational without it on iLok #1, then only have znoise on iLok #2.

I have multiple iLoks for this reason...

PS -- it's a good idea to dedicate an iLok to Waves. That is, only waves products on a single ilok... then another ilOk for other auths. There are many threads on the DUC about iLok and waves -- but the noise to signal may be high. Waves support may be a good place to turn for clarification on this. They explained it well to me when I was configuring my iLoks and walked me though the process.