Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 PM

Default Monitoring through Rosetta vs Monitoring through 003

Hi all,

I did a little test to see if there was a difference monitoring through the 003 vs the Rosetta. Quite honestly, I didn't hear that much of a difference. I was wondering if maybe I did something wrong with my test.

Here's what I did:

I imported a track from a CD, then sent it to 2 different stereo aux buses. One bus pair fed analog 1-2, the other ADAT 1-2 (Rosetta). Then I sent the bus outputs to 2 master faders (1 on analog 1-2, the other on ADAT 1-2).

I bussed/master volumed it separately so I could A/B things easier, and because I could have separate master volume levels (because the Rosetta output is freaking loud).

So, is my testing methodology sound? Because, I'm sort of surprised at the results.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Monitoring through Rosetta vs Monitoring through 003

Try this, run your CD recording track(just one of them) out the main outs, and use an AUX send, set to -0 to feed a set of Rosetta outputs. Create 2 stereo audio tracks, MUTE the inputs for now(so you don't create a feedback loop) and bring each set of signals back into the 003(or the Rosetta or 1 set each) and record these new returns. Once you record a little(30 seconds would be plenty). take the new tracks out of record, and SOLO the 2 of them(so you are not listening to the original). Listen to each alone, and then together. Maybe zoom way in on the very start of the waveform and look for any offset. Listen for phasing. Let us know what you see and hear. If both tracks line up perfectly and just get louder when combined, that will be great,

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 AM

Other things can make a difference. Your room, monitors etc.
The difference between my Rosetta 800 and my 003 are very obvious.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 AM

What are you plugging the units into. If I plugged my units into something like a Mackie mixer then to the amp and speakers I probably would hear a small difference because the Mackie would impart something (negative) to the sound of both units. To do a true AB comparison you have to go straight to the amp or have something of high quality between the units and the amp. And then of course the amp will affect the sound as well as the speakers.

I run my Rosetta and 002R into an X-Sum and they just do not sound the same at all. Even clocking off the Rosetta, the 002R lacks a bit of clarity. But it's really hard to hear if you run everything into a junk mixer and speakers.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Other things can make a difference. Your room, monitors etc.
The difference between my Rosetta 800 and my 003 are very obvious.
BINGO! If you're using so-so monitors, the difference won't be substantial---if you're using really good monitors that will allow you to hear what's going on, oh you'll notice it. Of course there are these things known as cables too! One of my clients was in EXACTLY the same situation as you, he told me his cables were fine when he ordered the Rosetta800 through me, called back saying there wasn't much of a difference. He was using ADAM S2A monitors---good monitors. WELL....come to find out he had cheaper cables. So I sent him (2) Monster Cables, problem solved. In his words I believe he said something like "This $80 investment made my studio sound $10,000 better".