Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-05-2018, 01:18 PM

Default HD Native Thunderbolt - Headphone Jack Left Side only with 5.1 output?

So I just updated my edit room to 5.1 with the HD Omni interface, and it's all fantastic.... except that when I set my Main Output to 5.1 in the Hardware settings of the Omni, the HD Native Thunderbolt heaphone jack only outputs the L side or channel 1. It seems to think that Channel 2 is the center channel, even though I'm using the L R C LFE Ls Rs channel order in the Hardware tab.

The Omni headphone jack correctly outputs 1-2 to the headphones, and I thought the thunderbolt box was just supposed to mirror that? I've tried switching around the channel order, but the only way to get sound on the right ear is to pan something to the C channel in 5.1.

Anyone else have this problem or a potential solution? Otherwise I'll have to change my hardware monitoring settings every time I do a stereo session vs a 5.1 session, or just stick to the Omni headphone jack.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 AM

Default Re: HD Native Thunderbolt - Headphone Jack Left Side only with 5.1 output?

The box should mirror outputs 1-2 of your first interface
Old 11-10-2018, 11:30 AM

Default Re: HD Native Thunderbolt - Headphone Jack Left Side only with 5.1 output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The box should mirror outputs 1-2 of your first interface
which would more that likely be Left channel and Center channel. You need a stereo fold down to outs 1-2

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 11-11-2018, 04:31 AM

I wonder how the behaviour would be if using a MTRX, since 1/2 outs can be AES, analogue, MADI, Dante. Will it be the analogue outs that get replicated? Or indeed 1/2 regardless of protocol?

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 11-11-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
I wonder how the behaviour would be if using a MTRX, since 1/2 outs can be AES, analogue, MADI, Dante. Will it be the analogue outs that get replicated? Or indeed 1/2 regardless of protocol?
Since you assign the routing inside DADman, it will be whatever is assigned to 1/2 on the first ProTools primary connection (minidigilink.) Pro Tools only sees the connection (minidigilink) it has no idea what the box behind it is doing. The MTRX is routing a signal source to a destination. The endpoint to Pro Tools is always the same (as the destination) -- it's not changing any kind of "protocol"

If you think of the mini-digilink cable as any other audio cable, it'll be what's going down 1/2.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Since you assign the routing inside DADman, it will be whatever is assigned to 1/2 on the first ProTools primary connection (minidigilink.) Pro Tools only sees the connection (minidigilink) it has no idea what the box behind it is doing. The MTRX is routing a signal source to a destination. The endpoint to Pro Tools is always the same (as the destination) -- it's not changing any kind of "protocol"

If you think of the mini-digilink cable as any other audio cable, it'll be what's going down 1/2.
OK, it makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3